The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Installing a Brewometer and drain valve..?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Installing a Brewometer and drain valve..?!?!

I got a stainless valve and brewometer for my bewpot this christmas, but now I am trying to figure out if I can do the install myself... I have no problem with the drilling part, but I dont know what the best placement is for the valve ...??? does something connect to the valve to allow it to drain closer to the bottom..?!?! does anyone have pics or a writeup on the right way to set this all up..?!?! Thank in advance for everyones help...

Jester

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You need to put it as close to the bottom as possible but have it on a vertical flat face, not curved and not on a weld. If this means fitting it higer then do so because you can fit a dip/syphon tube to get to the bottom of the kettle.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
You need to put it as close to the bottom as possible but have it on a vertical flat face, not curved and not on a weld. If this means fitting it higer then do so because you can fit a dip/syphon tube to get to the bottom of the kettle.

Hope that makes sense.
Do you jsut use a tube or should it be something like all the copper manifolds I see people building..?? also, should I think about using some sort of screen over the tube to keep the hops from siphoning out..?? Thanks again...

Jester

Old 12-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I wouldn't use plastic tubing, it could melt. Use copper an yes you need some type of screening device to stop the hops.

Last edited by Orfy; 12-26-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Do you really need a thermometer on your brew kettle? It's boiling or it's not... I think they started putting these on brewpots "just because". Unless you use your brew kettle as a HLT you don't need it, kinda like a site glass on a brew kettle, not needed and if it breaks while your boiling, you'll lose all your wort with no way to stop boiling hot wort from coming out.

Brew kettle needs a way to get the wort in to boil it, and a way to get the wort out when finished boiling. Anything else IMO, is a point of failure for something to go wrong. If you insist on knowing the temp of your "boiling" wort, use a turkey fryer style of thermometer, it will never start leaking out the side of the pot.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I connected a domed false bottom from More Beer to my kettle valve. It stops the hops nicely and leaves less than 1/4" of wort in the kettle.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My LHBS has my brewpot now and is installing everything... I'm going to let them drill this first one and then when I convert all my keg shells, I'll do those ones myself....

Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
anojones
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister
Do you really need a thermometer on your brew kettle? It's boiling or it's not... I think they started putting these on brewpots "just because". Unless you use your brew kettle as a HLT you don't need it, kinda like a site glass on a brew kettle, not needed and if it breaks while your boiling,

I like having a thermometer as I cool with an immersion chiller and keep the pot covered during cooling, it also gives me a gauge of when I'm nearing the boil to watch for a boil over. More than a thermometer, I like having a sight gauge on the brew kettle so I know when I'm near my boil volume. Neither are necesary, but I find both helpful and added them to my kettle after having neither for quite awhile.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anojones
I like having a thermometer as I cool with an immersion chiller and keep the pot covered during cooling, it also gives me a gauge of when I'm nearing the boil to watch for a boil over. More than a thermometer, I like having a sight gauge on the brew kettle so I know when I'm near my boil volume. Neither are necesary, but I find both helpful and added them to my kettle after having neither for quite awhile.
good reply... I also feel like when you have to constantly use an external thermometer, each time you are opening yourself to a possible contamination... We all sanitize our equipemnt , but you never know whats could happen... just my opinion...

Old 12-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #10
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would be interested in the proper placement of a site glass since I would like to add one also. Can you put it anywhere height wise and then calibrate it by filling with water and marking the different levels or does placement need to be a specific spot?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Quick Reply