The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Inline filter for pure oxygen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Windigstadt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Inline filter for pure oxygen?

I just ordered an O2 regulator so I can start aerating my beer with pure oxygen. My question for those of you who use a disposable oxygen tank... Do you use an inline filter? It appears most homebrew stores only sell them for use with aquarium pumps that draw ambient air. On one hand, $5 for a filter isn't that much for piece of mind, but on the other hand if it's not necessary I'll save my money for the next trip to the bar. What say ye?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
McCheese352
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using the pure O2 setup without a filter for about a year now without any problems.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCheese352 View Post
I've been using the pure O2 setup without a filter for about a year now without any problems.
John Palmer asserted on a Brew Strong podcast that nothing can live in pure O2 or CO2. I wouldn't worry about a filter.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigstadt View Post
I just ordered an O2 regulator so I can start aerating my beer with pure oxygen. My question for those of you who use a disposable oxygen tank... Do you use an inline filter? It appears most homebrew stores only sell them for use with aquarium pumps that draw ambient air. On one hand, $5 for a filter isn't that much for piece of mind, but on the other hand if it's not necessary I'll save my money for the next trip to the bar. What say ye?
Can anyone say overkill! No i'm just kidding. It's just not necessary to put an inline filter on an O2 system. Humans can't even survive in pure oxygen. There is such a thing as oxygen narcosis and all living things including baddies can't survive in a pure single-species gaseous environment.

P.S. Where you at in Chicago? I'm brewing up in the Ravenswood neighborhood, but I'd love to meet another fellow homebrewer.

Quick Reply