The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Infection: Test Your Instincts and/or Knowledge...

View Poll Results: Infection...
Yeah, every bottle will be infected, and will gush forth sour juice! 2 10.00%
Maybe some of the bottles will be infected, but not all... 3 15.00%
I'm too much of a pus$y to toss my hat in the ring 1 5.00%
Nah, it's too hard to infect a batch; they'll all be fine. 14 70.00%
I'm calling Ralph Nader to confiscate the bottles in the name of public consumer safety! 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Infection: Test Your Instincts and/or Knowledge...

A couple weeks back, I went to rack my Pilsner into a keg for long-term lagering. After about 3/4 thru, I realized that I'd overshot my vol by a bit, and had more than the keg could hold. I didn't have time to sanitize my bottling bucket, but I wasn't about to dump a sixers worth of homebrew down the drain either. So I whirled around, grabbed the unsanitized bottling bucket, and moved the tube from the keg to the bucket with seconds to spare. I sanitized the bottles, added carb tabs to them, and bottled six 12oz'ers.

So here's the test: what do you think'll happen to these bottles? The bottling bucket was clean, but it had been sitting in my brewery for several days collecting whatever fell into it. Since we're always so concerned with sanitation, and my only two infected batches have gotten infected at some point in the bottling process, I'm anxious to see whether these 6 bottles are infected. So, test YOUR instincts and/or knowledge, and venture a guess. I'll let you know what happens in due time...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I vote for sheer dumb luck that you dodged the bullet on this one....
The sanitizer in the bottles and the alcohol in the beer zapped any contaminants from the bottling bucket.....Since it was only a 6-er worth of beer, it wasn't in contact with the nasties in the bucket long enough to do anything....If it had been a full 5 gallon batch in the bucket for an hour...that'd be different.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I vote for sheer dumb luck that you dodged the bullet on this one....
The sanitizer in the bottles and the alcohol in the beer zapped any contaminants from the bottling bucket.....
vote in the poll then!!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
vote in the poll then!!
The poll wasn't there when I posted...I did, and edited my post...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I said no infection, but really that depends on what happens after they are carbonated. How will you store them... How soon you will drink them...

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
I said no infection, but really that depends on what happens after they are carbonated. How will you store them... How soon you will drink them...
They're carb'ing at 70-something for a few weeks, then stored at lagering temps for another month for "bottle lagering".

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I reckon a serious infection is unlikely due to the low ph and alcohol content of the beer. I'd finish up the bottles as soon as possible though, maybe keep one for a year to see what develops.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I voted no infection, as both my instincts and knowledge tell me to RDWHAHB.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Send them to me for inspection and analysis. I'll report back, hic, as soon as posiber.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

you'll be fine!... i hope! but it'll be interesting to taste vs. the keg at least. good luck!

What's tappening? :D

Quick Reply