The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Induction heating element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
Gregredic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Everything I have read says that and induction heating element will in fact work with SS, but obviously will not work with alum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 AM   #12
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a crappy stove that is unable to boil 5 gallons. I am looking at an induction solution. I will post here what I find.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
Gregredic
Recipes 

That would be much appreciated. I have asked numerous people about them, but always come up short.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #14
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I found my solution however its not an induction plate. I bought a stainless steel 30l pot from Austin Brewers website. Its 15 inches across and fits on 2 burners, its 13 inches deep. While not an induction plates it was less money and I know it will work. Plus it has 2 holes in it already one for a ball valve and one for a thermometer.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Old 09-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Man, I missed this thread twice I think I may be the only one on HBT that uses induction cookers. I love them.

Yes they work with SOME stainless steel pots, not most though. We bought our first unit at a cooking store and paid ~$200. Of course then we had to buy some more cookware as my favorite SS pots weren't ferrous enough. We hunted a long time for a pasta pot that wasn't $$$$$. We used to go to kitchen stores and grab a fridge magnet to check the pots with. I've learned where to go now for pots that are relatively inexpensive.

One day we were in our local Target store and were checking out the clearance sections at the ends of the aisles and we saw two induction cookers for $35 each. Needless to say they both immediately went into our cart. One nice feature is that they are extremely portable. All you need is a 110 V outlet. It is nice in the summer to cook outside and not heat up the house. Particularly for things like boiling pasta. They are a blast to cook with. It is very similar to gas. Instant heat when you want it and instantly off when you want it. Extremely uniform heating in the bottom of the pot. They do draw a fair bit of power. You can't operate it on the same circuit as a microwave (in use) of a airconditioner.

Now my units don't have enough power to boil 6.5 gal. of wort. I use propane for that. I use one two heat my mash tun, and one to heat my hot liqour pot. They work fabulously for this. Step mashes are a breeze. I use the aluminized bubble wrap for insulation and do not have to worry about melting it. It is a very uniform heating so scorching is a non issue.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
Gregredic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigeso View Post
I found my solution however its not an induction plate. I bought a stainless steel 30l pot from Austin Brewers website. Its 15 inches across and fits on 2 burners, its 13 inches deep. While not an induction plates it was less money and I know it will work. Plus it has 2 holes in it already one for a ball valve and one for a thermometer.
yeah...Im going to do the same thing...get a big pot that will cover 2 stove eyes. Im thinking about modifying an old stove so that I can get it resting on 4 at once.

Do you have a link to the pot you bought?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregredic View Post
yeah...Im going to do the same thing...get a big pot that will cover 2 stove eyes. Im thinking about modifying an old stove so that I can get it resting on 4 at once.

Do you have a link to the pot you bought?
Yes I do. Now I won this on the their eBay auction page. They have an ebay store as well. It came with a ball valve and no thermometer. I won it at $136 bucks, plus $6.99 shipping. I think it was a good deal.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Old 08-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #18
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was just looking into induction cooking. I see some of these burners are selling for under $200. However, finding information on their BTU equivalency is very difficult. Too bad the MC-3500 is $1600+ CookTek® Induction Cooktops it puts out the equivalent of 31,000 BTU. Then again, the MC-1800 ($160) would probably work well, it puts out 1600 BTU and you could insulate your pot.

My real worry with one of these is how many years do they last? I have read a few stories about them losing efficiency after a year or two.

Anyone have any experience? pjj2ba - how have your induction burners faired over the years?

- M

PS: Sorry for digging up an old thread.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
kerklein2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
here is the rub with Induction. It is a magnet that excites the atoms in the pot. For this to work your pot must be ferrous. Meaning the pot must be iron. Induction ranges will not work on Stainless or aluminum.

John
Just thought I'd clear this up a little bit. First, ferrous does not mean iron, it means containing iron. Nothing you purchase anywhere will just be iron. Steel is (very simply) an alloy of iron and carbon. Even your cast iron pans or anything that is called cast iron is just steel with a high carbon content that was named cast iron because it is easy to cast. Stainless steel is (very simply again) steel that has also had chromium added to get the corrosion resistance properties.

Now on to this working on induction heaters. Because induction heaters work by oscillating a magnetic field, only vessels which respond to magnetism will work with them. This does not preclude stainless. Depending on the iron content of stainless steel it may or may not be magnetic enough to work with an induction cooker. Like was said above, just take a magnet and see if it will attract.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My induction cookers are still working like champs. The ceramic plate on our oldest unit (~8 yrs old) has come unglued but that isn't a problem, I just have to be carefull when picking it up. I pushed the limits of it with a 10 gal batch of IPA. Had my 40 qt mash tun filled to the brim. It weighed so much it pushed the cover down so it hit the fan and made a terrible racket. My mash tun is a little wider than the cooker so I rigged up some wood strips to take much of the pressure off the cook surface.

Still loving them!

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply