Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Induction [again]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Induction [again]

I was looking at natural gas burners, when I ran across an induction burner that would definitely do a 5 gallon batch - and can even boil 10 gallons [called the manufacturer].

But, what I wanted to know is, has anyone here used it?

CookTek Stock Pot Range

And if you haven't, feel free to give it a look and your opinions anyway. The obvious problem is finding out if I have 3 phase in my home or not (I think I do, new build, and the inspector went bonkers about my electrical system as it is far above spec). And if I don't, I might be able to use a Phase Converter.

Thoughts or experiences?

- M

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take a picture of your electric panel. I would be surprised if you had three phase power, but hey, you never know.

Those Phase converters cannot be cheap, you would probably be better off with a 220V single phase induction cooktop.

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How much is that burner? and the phase converter?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

For the current (~32 amps) he will need to supply the induction stove with it will be at least $1500 to $2000.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 02-03-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

$2000 for the burner, around $1500 for the converter. -- a rotary would be about $1400, a CNC would be about $2000.

220V single phase cooktops have several problems:
(1) Most top out at 2000W, some hit 2500 or 3000W, but very few, and I only know of one that can hit 3500W. [2500W is min to boil 5g w/in 30 min]
(2) None of them can take 40lbs of weight on top of them. I've written at least a dozen manufacturers, and they have all said, "No Way."
-- If someone can point me at a cooktop that would work, I'm all for it. I'd be even more excited if I could find a half gas, half induction cooktop.

-- Whereas, to go gas in the garage, to satisfy the wife, I'm going to spend about $1000 on equipment and safety setup ... Sure, it saves me some, but at that point, I may as well take one more step for a simpler setup that screams awesome .

Unless I can find a way to make either one cheaper. SWMBO wins in the end on whatever I do.

Last edited by maztec; 02-03-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztec View Post
I was looking at natural gas burners, when I ran across an induction burner that would definitely do a 5 gallon batch - and can even boil 10 gallons [called the manufacturer].

But, what I wanted to know is, has anyone here used it?

CookTek Stock Pot Range

And if you haven't, feel free to give it a look and your opinions anyway. The obvious problem is finding out if I have 3 phase in my home or not (I think I do, new build, and the inspector went bonkers about my electrical system as it is far above spec). And if I don't, I might be able to use a Phase Converter.

Thoughts or experiences?

- M
Very doubtful you have 3phase in your house. 3 phase is mostly used for commercial purposes. It isn't cheap to install either.

To run an inductive load like that you need something like this. A little solid state phase converter ain't going to hack it.
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G7978-.../dp/B0000DD6V9

I'm all for trying something new and testing conventions but for 7kW/8kW of heating power it doesn't make much sense to go inductive. You would be better off and far far cheaper to have a dedicated 50A 240V service and 2 5.5kW elements for a net of 11kW of heat output. Just as efficient if not more efficient than the induction cooker. (this is assuming you have to convert from single phase to three phase and loss of efficiency during the conversion). Would it be cool? Hell yeah! Would it be practical? God no.

For what you will spend on that converter alone you can install a dedicated 240V service and build a REAL nice brew rig.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I love my induction cookers! At ~1500 watts they don't have the oompf to do my boil, but they work great for the mash tun and HLT. Step mashes are a breeze. I've pushed mine to the weight limit for a 10 gal batch of my IPA (~18lbs grain + 4 gal. water). This was actually too much as the top was being pushed down into the fan. Luckily my pot is wider than the cooker so I was able to rig up some wood blocks on the sides to take a bunch of weight off of the cook top. You could do the same thing. The pot doesn't need to rest firmly on the top, just be close enough.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Except 2x 5.5kW elements wouldn't give a net 11kW heat output because it is unlikely one pan would span both efficiently. Unless you are meaning drop elements directly in the cooker that heat - rather than induction. At which point, you possibly have better efficiency than induction, at the risk of putting contaminants straight into your wort.

Meh, if I was in the EU, I know I would have 3 Phase in my house.

And 7kW = 23.8k BTU. [I did all the math and explained it in the forum a year ago].

----

pjj: good to hear. By my math, 1500W is just enough to boil 4 gallons in one hour (except heat loss will make it not happen). You could definitely boil 2 gallons within 20-30 minutes though.

Whereas, for 5 gallons in an hour, you need 100% efficiency for 1747W. Thus 3500W minimum for a boil in 30 minutes.

-- The good news here is new induction products keep coming out, keep being more powerful, and keep getting cheaper!

Maybe I should just make a steel pot, turn it into a stand, and wrap it with an induction coil .

Last edited by maztec; 02-03-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Direct immersion. You can mount 2 5.5kw elements 90deg from each other through the kettle wall.

If you are worried about corrosion then look at these.
http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCat...ProductId=2343
Very corrosion resistant.

For a Mash tun you have to either use a HERMS or RIMS set up, I don't think that putting an element right into the grain bed would be advisable.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good point.

What about making an induction coil instead?

Get two kettles, two sizes. Outer one aluminum, inner one conductive stainless steel. Wrap the inner one with an induction coil, drop into the outer one (mostly as a way of keeping it all together), fill it with insulating foam. Fill it up, flip it on. Could then adjust current in order to set temperature. Could even drop a custom temperature sensor into the inside of the pot in order to monitor and maintain temperature.

Quick Reply