The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Improved boiling on the stovetop!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheaffdogg View Post
If you check the contact temperature range (which I didn't do the last time) it lists a max contact temp of 180 degrees. The tape will protect the bottom from the direct flame, but the 212 degree pot of boiling wort is what melted my last blanket. The walls of my SS pot are pretty thin, so that may have had something to do with it as well.

Maybe if I wrapped the pot first with an old towel, that would provide enough of a buffer for the insulation. Yeah, I'll give that a trial run this weekend.
I think Flyguy uses an electric stove. Is your stove electric? Gas flames are much hotter than 212F wort so your insulation might also be getting a little flame action.
Primary
On DeckIPA, Pale ale, ESB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #22
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I do use an electric stove, and the insulation has more or less held up. But after a four batches, it is starting to deform and the insulation isn't as thick as when I started. I am going to have to find something a little more heat resistant, too -- especially by next month when we move to a gas range instead.

I think this is the next stuff I am going to try to get my hands on. It is similar to what David recommended earlier in the thread, which is some type of automotive-application reflective insulation that withstands heat better.

http://www.amazon.com/Supressor-Acou...8&s=industrial

I can't find the R-value on it, but it looks decent from the photos (probably at least as good as foil-bubble insulation). More importantly, it can withstand high temps (over 250 degrees F according to the manufacturer's website).

Last edited by FlyGuy; 06-18-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 900 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Wrap the pot with this first:
http://www.infraredheaters.com/insulati.htm

hold it with a little masking tape...
then spray it all down with some 3M Super 88 adhesive and carefully wrap aluminum flashing around it like this stuff:
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/27...ng-252320.aspx

You could probably figure out some kind of closure method that would allow removal for cleaning the pot. Snaps maybe, or short machine screws/nuts. Think of the thing as a jacket for your pot.

I'm likely going this route to insulate my keggle based HLT and MLT and I want it to handle a raging direct flame if necessary. The cermamic batting is rated to something like 2300ºF.

I also like this stuff but I haven't received an answer as to it's durability in an exposed installation situation:
http://www.avsind.com/insulation.html

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 06-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #24
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Interesting idea, but it really is important to be able to take the jacket off the pot to wash and clean it (it is a boil kettle and they do get filthy). The Reflectix jacket I described was great for this because it just slipped right off. Your suggestion would work, but it would be less elegant to remove for cleaning.

I don't think fibre insulation would be a great material to use in this application because inevitable boil overs or spillage are going to soak into it. I really think closed-cell heat-resistant foam, or a sealed insulation product (like the Thermo-Tec product above) are the way to go -- you can make them resistant to spills from the kettle, and they are pliable enough to make a jacket that can be easily removed. Plus, they are designed to reflect radiant heat -- I am not sure that aluminum flashing would do as good a job.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I'm only suggesting adhering the batting to the aluminum flashing and not to the pot. For your application on an electric stove, or any electrically heated vessel for that matter, the temp rating only has to be just above boiling. In a direct fired vessel using gas, it needs to do a lot better like near 600F. I'm looking into getting a removable blanket fabricated that will put coated silica fabric around a core of needled silica felt. I know the quote is going to come back $200 per keg... Grrrr.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #26
FlyGuy

Recipes 

That sounds like an excellent solution for your application. The cost is a bit on the high side, but it would definitely last the lifetime of your gear.

Regarding stovetop pots, I am moving to a gas range soon, so I will have to abandon my Reflectix jacket. I am hoping I won't need it, but the Thermo-Tec material (above) would be a very cheap and easy improvement, even for a gas range (I am hoping). Just gotta find the exact specs on this stuff.

Cheers!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I really think closed-cell heat-resistant foam, or a sealed insulation product (like the Thermo-Tec product above) are the way to go -- you can make them resistant to spills from the kettle, and they are pliable enough to make a jacket that can be easily removed. Plus, they are designed to reflect radiant heat -- I am not sure that aluminum flashing would do as good a job.
There is an ultralight backpacking stove called jetboil.
http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cook.../Personal-(PCS)
The aluminum pot sits directly on an intense flame AND is wrapped in a closed cell jacket. You can pick up the pot of boiling water with your hand and feel NO heat. Very well insulated and able to withstand really high temps. Might give them an email. Or maybe you already have the stuff.
Primary

Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #28
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
There is an ultralight backpacking stove called jetboil.
http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cook.../Personal-(PCS)
The aluminum pot sits directly on an intense flame AND is wrapped in a closed cell jacket. You can pick up the pot of boiling water with your hand and feel NO heat. Very well insulated and able to withstand really high temps. Might give them an email. Or maybe you already have the stuff.
I am thinking that might be a weeeee bit small for a boil kettle.

Seriously, that's cool stuff. I wonder if you can obtain the same thing for a pot. Sounds ideal -- thanks!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #29
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I am thinking that might be a weeeee bit small for a boil kettle.
That stove is for brewing 1 bottle at a time
Primary

Old 06-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #30
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I know the thread died, but this looks really promising for you electric brewery guys:

Mcmaster.com
9349K2
Foam Rubber Insulation Plain Back, 1/2" Thick, 36" X 48" Sheet, Black
In stock at $18.88 Each

This is enough to do two sanke sized kettles 18" high by 48" around. A little high temp duct tape at the seam and you're golden... remove it when you want to or not..

Ultra-Flexible Foam Rubber Insulation

Fiberglass Faced
Temperature Range: Uncoated Plain Back, -20° to +220° F; Uncoated Adhesive Backed, +20° to +180° F; Fiberglass Faced, -297° to +220° F
Heat Flow Rate (K-factor): 0.27 Btu/hr. x in./sq. ft. @75° F
Density: 3-6 lbs./cu. ft.
Color: Uncoated, black; Fiberglass Faced, black with silver jacket
Wrap this foam insulation around ducts and large diameter pipes—it's moisture resistant and extremely flexible and soft. Insulation is made of closed-cell elastomeric Buna-N/PVC foam. Cut with a knife. Meets ASTM E84 25/50 for flame and smoke. Size is 36" x 48", unless noted.
Install plain back insulation with contact adhesive (sold separately below).
Uncoated insulation is for indoor use; can be used outdoors if coated with latex paint (sold separately below). Fiberglass-faced insulation is impregnated with aluminum for impact resistance. Use indoors and out.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply