Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > importance of a wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Jack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default importance of a wort chiller

I made a starter tonight so I can brew a hefeweizen on Sunday. Normally, I just let the pot of starter cool until it's cool (~2 hours). Tonight, I ran it under cold water and cooled it off in 15 minutes.

A couple of big differences. The clarity was far improved, there was a lot more hot break material, and the taste was cleaner.

Which got me thinking about wort chillers. Does the ability of to chill wort quickly make this huge of a difference? I've always thought of it as a luxury item that would substantially shorten my brew days, but wouldn't make my beer better... but tonight's experiment seems to be indicating otherwise!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
BarleyWater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, it causes what is known as the cold break, and helps clear your beer. Chiil beer fast = good, chill beer slow = chance of infection, haziness and stability problems (bad).

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply