Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > immersion wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
grrtt78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default immersion wort chiller

first off i partially blame u all for this. i am fully addicted to brewing and am spending a fortune, which is bad for me because i am a poor college student(go seminoles). i just bought a new kettle and burner so i thought since i am now doing full boils i am going to need a better method to cool than an ice bath. i want to make a wort chiller and immersion seems easier. do i use copper tubing? how much? also i thought about making something where it is basically a siphon into the fermentor with a coil in a ice bath in the middle of it. would that work? thanks for feeding my addiction!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

found this today since I'm thinking of turning my CFC into and immersion chiller, should give ya all the info ya need . . .
http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/equip/chiller.html

BYW the $25 cost would be about $30 for me if I bought everything they listed

hose clamps - $1 each
25feet of 3/8 tubing - $20
25foot 1/2 garden hose - $7
tax 5.5% or something . . . they chage it too much around here to keep up with it

Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

As long as you can find your copper that cheap, go for it. I think 25' of 3/8 is closer to $30 still and it is the bare minimum size/length to cool full boils in a reasonable time. You might want to use 3/8" ID vinyl hose because it will fit the copper really well.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply