Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion Versus Counterflow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Boston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Immersion Versus Counterflow

Hey all,
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed. Anywho, I recently acquired (gratis) a 50' roll of 3/8" O.D. copper tubing with the intention of fabricating a double-coil immersion-type chiller. Saw one on e-Bay and it looked pretty neat. However, just yesterday, I saw an article in BYO that showed how to build a homemade counterflow chiller. Hmmm. Interesting. The CF type appears more efficient (in cooling time & water use) but I got to thinking, "What happens to all the cold break. Does it end up in the primary fermenter?" I would think so.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Right on both accounts. Counter-flows are far more efficient and the all of the cold break ends up in the primary. The pros get around the latter problem by having a whirlpool separator between the chiller and the fermenter.

Quite frankly though, I doubt if I keep much of the cold break out of the fermenter, even though I use a immersion cooler. I tend to run as much of the wort into the fermenter as I can and count on it settling out.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
AHammer16

Recipes 

Yes, but it settles to the bottom w/ the trub and the beer gets racked off so it is no big deal. Make the conter flow model. I made the one from BYO and it was easy and entertaining.

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Old 01-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input. I am experimenting with the "inverted carboy" (Fermentap) method and want to keep as much crap out of the primary as possible. I read here where the Fermentap (or similar device) has a propensity for getting clogged with trub. That would really suck. Any truth to that? Am I worrying too much?
Wishing I had a homebrew to relax with,
Jeff

Old 01-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
AHammer16

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONBREWIN'
Thanks for the input. I am experimenting with the "inverted carboy" (Fermentap) method and want to keep as much crap out of the primary as possible. I read here where the Fermentap (or similar device) has a propensity for getting clogged with trub. That would really suck. Any truth to that? Am I worrying too much?
Wishing I had a homebrew to relax with,
Jeff
the fermentrap is just like a conical fermentor, you must clear the trub in stages to prevent it for compacting and cloging the port. I personally dont use it but I have heard from people that this MUST be done or it will clog.

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Old 01-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go for the counterflow, go for the counterflow...it's cool!

Check out my gallery. I made this following the BYO article (roughly).

Old 01-30-2006, 12:12 AM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
The pros get around the latter problem by having a whirlpool separator between the chiller and the fermenter.
The whirpool is actually between boil kettle and CFC. The wort from the CFC is usually dumped right into the primary with all the cold break. If all the cold break is removed, the beer will taste "empty". This is what I read at various places so far.

Kai

Old 01-30-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
The whirpool is actually between boil kettle and CFC. The wort from the CFC is usually dumped right into the primary with all the cold break. If all the cold break is removed, the beer will taste "empty". This is what I read at various places so far.

Kai
If they have a whirlpool seperator between the kettle and CFC then they might be perfroming a hot side aeration which is not good for the brew......hmmm I need to do some more research.
Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -
Bottles
-
-

---------------------------------------------------

Old 01-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I too am looking to build a wort chiller and was leaning toward the double coil immersion. But according to all the posts, the counter flow is the way to go ??

Really? Honestly ? Is it really true that when the wort runs through the copper via a gravity flow against the flow of water running through the garden hose, that the wort comes out chilled ?? Its THAT effective ??

I have borrowed a buddies immersion (single coil) chiller and it obvioulsy is faster than ice baths, but it still takes 15-20 mintues. I just cant see how a single pass or wort against water equates to chilled wort ? I REALLY want to beleive this cause I would love to improve on the immersion chill times. How would you compare a double coil immersion against the counter flow? Thanks.

MNBugeater

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 01-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #10
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater
I just cant see how a single pass or wort against water equates to chilled wort ? I REALLY want to beleive this cause I would love to improve on the immersion chill times. How would you compare a double coil immersion against the counter flow?
It's a matter of volumes...you have a 'tube' of wort passing through water which is continuously being replaced with cool water, so if you look at in crossection you're cooling a very small amount of wort at any given time which may be done very rapidly.

With an immersion chiller you're trying to cool down a large volume of wort (well, basically all of it) all at once with a 'tube' of water. The CFC is like "divide and conquer" for the cold water!

Quick Reply