New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion or Counterflow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Rundownhouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As others have said, if you can circulate the wort around the IC, they're pretty effective. Using a pond pump to pump ice water through it once it gets under 100 is really the way to go. Once you know how to make an IC as effective as other methods, its just personal preference really. I like the idea of chilling all of the wort down as quickly as possible more than leaving some of it at 200 for a while, so I use an IC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I hate my IC. It's a hassle, it takes a long time, it's hard to clean, and because one side gets super hot the hose will often pop off and spray water everywhere. Go plate.
The one complaint I've never heard about an IC is that its hard to clean. That's the knock against plate chillers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
brewstaedt
Recipes 

I use a CFC without a pump and it works fine. I elevate my kettle no more than the height of a 5 gallon bucket above the chiller, and it flows fine. Go from kettle temps to 58F in the amount of time it takes to drain the kettle. Would never go back to a IC. Only possible draw back is that your cold break material ends up in the fermentor, if that's important to you. As for cleaning, I just run some boiling water through it, drain, and and then sanitize by running Starsan though. After brewing I just run boiling water through, drain, and cap the ends.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I built my CFC - love it. The only drawback is they're easy to get clogged with trub. It does bring boiling wort down to a degree or two above chill water temps. Without a pump, it takes about 20 minutes to drain 5 gallons.

Kegged: Empty
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Hefeweizen, Session Bitter

Old 05-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
brewstaedt
Recipes 

I whirlpool prior to CFC, and the vast majority of trub stays in the kettle.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I think I'm going to have to start using ice water recirculated through the immersion chiller or find something else to do because, for years, I put the output down the drain and just let it go. Yesterday, for the first time, I let it flow into the alley. Check out all that water.

Granted, Lake Michigan is about 4 blocks in the direction the camera is facing, but it feels pretty wasteful.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I think I'm going to have to start using ice water recirculated through the immersion chiller or find something else to do because, for years, I put the output down the drain and just let it go. Yesterday, for the first time, I let it flow into the alley. Check out all that water.

Granted, Lake Michigan is about 4 blocks in the direction the camera is facing, but it feels pretty wasteful.
Other than the electricity it takes to pump the water....wasting water is a fallacy. It either goes down the drain and ends up reentering the aquifer at some point or evaporating and eventually coming back to earth as rain water.

We made a cfc 25' of 3/8 copper inside a 5/8 garden hose and it is awesome. We run the well water wide open and the marsh pump wide open. Leaves the keggle at near boiling and goes into fermentation chamber at 64. Was 91 today and we did 10 gal in about 10 minutes.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
duckredbeard
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

I use a chillus convolutus from morebeer. I let the water flow full bore and modulate my wort pump output to control cast temp. The water goes to the lawn sprinkler or my daughter's kiddy pool. I have considered replacing all of my hosiery with appropriate hose for water reclamation. Water to be used for cleaning or the next brew. Neighbor and I sometimes brew consecutive beers.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #18
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think it depends on the pot you use. When I used my very dinky little 7.5 gallon econopot for extract batches, my 50' 3/8" immersion chiller worked great. Now that I use a keggle, my 75' 3/8" immersion chiller takes forever, and that's using a pump to recirculate the wort to create agitation. By the time my wort chills to 80*, the bottom keg skirt is still so hot to the touch it can burn, which definitly isn't helping chill times.

Quick Reply