Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion Chillers - why does cold water feed the bottom of coil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Good question....seems like if you cooled top-down, the cooled wort at the top would start sinking and create turbulence in the wort. There would be no stratification, and stirring probably wouldn't be necessary? Who knows?

I think if you soldered SS tubing to the inner sides of a pot you could have a nice integrated design...you could start at the top and go directly through the bottom of the pot with your exhaust, keeping the design low profile. 100% of the coolant would touch your wort this way. Does all this make sense?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avshook View Post
I always stir my IC. It decreases the chill time from 20-25 min to 12 min.
That was one of the problems I was looking to address when I revamped mine. It worked wonderfully.
No more stirring for me.

Quote:
I have a cheap home-made IC, the copper tube is probably too thin,
It's only too thin if it is so fragile (because of how thin it is) that it breaks. Otherwise, thinner is better. Metal will has its own thermal inertia. Thicker metal has more.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
HSM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always give a stir using the cooler its self and that definitely speeds up the process.

In theory, if the coldest water hit the warmest wort (the top) the heated water will not be as effective cooling the wort in the bottom of the kettle. I'm sure it won't make more than a few minutes difference but it should go to the bottom first so when the water is the hottest it's exiting the cooler. Same hold true for a condenser on a still.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

Old 02-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

All the discussions about which way the water should flow in an IC is just silly. There's no reason to kill your cooling efficiency by trying to let convection currents move the warmer wort around. You should be stirring (by hand or with a wine-degasser), or pump whirlpooling.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I have a feeling that on our scale, it doesnt really matter much. Most people are stirring thier wort as they cool and such anyway, or recirculating thier wort.

I think that in 5-10 gallons of wort you wont see much difference in cooling with top or bottom fed chillers. Mine has the same fittings on both ends, I can choose... but I dont think it matters.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #16
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
here's my 50' x .375. i cool top and bottom with separate coils.

Now, THAT's a chiller! Nice job.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avshook View Post
I always stir my IC. It decreases the chill time from 20-25 min to 12 min.
That was one of the problems I was looking to address when I revamped mine. It worked wonderfully.
No more stirring for me.

Quote:
I have a cheap home-made IC, the copper tube is probably too thin,
It's only too thin if it is so fragile (because of how thin it is) that it breaks. Otherwise, thinner is better. Metal will has its own thermal inertia. Thicker metal has more.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknapp View Post
Now, THAT's a chiller! Nice job.
thanks. cost: $45 for the roll of copper at ace.

25' wrapped around a 5# alumi co2. 25' wrapped around 20# alumi co2.

i have warped my head thinking about it. once the inlet water has removed heat energy, it can't remove anymore. thus i cool both ends of the keggle simultaneously, although, i might need to remove the outlet 2-1. (i might have uneven flow). also need to rework the top bends with elbow joints to make it sit a smidge lower in.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #19
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
i have warped my head thinking about it. once the inlet water has removed heat energy, it can't remove anymore.
Which is why most of these discussions are a waste of time.

If you want to make a better chiller, focus on methods of getting more volume of water through the wort, and stirring the wort.

A whole bunch of real short coils with independent water supplies would cool about as quick as possible.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

heat exchangers operate on temperature differentials. Cold wort vs a slightly colder chiller will cool the wort some more at the bottom. As the cooling fluid moves up the heat exchanger it will warm up, but will be chilling hotter wort, maintaining a temperature differential. That's the theory anyways. On our scale probably not enough variation in temperature from top to bottom to worry about. stirring does help though by keeping colder spots from forming near the chiller.

Quick Reply