The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion Chiller Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
kizzeith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Immersion Chiller Techniques

I have the Midwest Stainless Immersion Chiller and it worked well with our enamel brew kettle, but not quite as well with our new stainless kettle.

It seemed to chill a little better when I would move the chiller around (stirring slowly or bobbing ever couple of minutes). Any other advice on making it work more efficiently?

PS it's the $60 chiller and we have a 5 gallon brew kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Stir and move it up and down. Use cold water. If you can, get a pond-pump and connect it to the chiller, place in bucket of water and ice. Pump output water down sink and add cold water to bucket until temp get's down around 100*, then recirculate into bucket.

Or get a pre-chiller to put in a bucket of water, but the pond-pump is more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

The more you can stir the wort, the faster it will cool. Some people worry about aeration while the wort is warm, but you can still move it around quite a bit without causing a bunch of foam. I guess the optimal thing would be to pump the wort around while the chiller ran, but I just use a big spoon and stir hard every minute to two to keep things moving. tre9er makes a good point too, you can only get so cold as your water will allow, so if your water is fairly warm you can take steps to cool that before using it.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
kizzeith
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply