Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion Chiller Taking Too Long

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Immersion Chiller Taking Too Long

I brew 3-gallon batches, doing full-wort boils in a 5-gallon pot. I did the ice bath thing for a while but got sick of lugging 12 lbs of ice up the several flights of stairs to my apartment and having to wait almost an hour for my wort to chill to pitching temps. So I bought an IC, after reading how they're quicker than ice baths and less wasteful of H20, etc. Well, my experience thus far has been unimpressive. It still takes me a good hour to get my wort to pitching temp, and I really can't seem to get it any lower than 76°F. The chiller's a bit too big for the pot, so there's usually a coil or two of the tubing sticking out, but I can't imagine that makes a whole lot of difference. My tap water is usually around 60 to 65°F. I adjust the water flow rate to maximize the temperature of the water exiting the tube; usually it's barely above a trickle. I'm also stirring the wort frequently, which I'd prefer not to do b/c of the contamination risks.

So, my question: I'm sick of wasting so much time chilling the wort, especially because the kitchen sink is tied up the whole time. Any ideas why it takes me so long to get the wort down to pitching temps with this setup? Would a chiller made from a longer length of tubing, and thus having more coils, make a significant improvement? Would compressing the chiller I have, so that all the coils are submerged in my shallow pot, make a significant improvement? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a CFC (which will also require a new kettle with a spigot)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What length and diameter is the coil? Did you say that you turn on the water that flows through the tube, just barely above a trickle?

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Vaffmedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I use a submersible aquarium pump in a cooler of ice water to recirculate the water through the IC and get down to pitching temperature pretty quick. Pump cost me about $20-$25 off of eBay.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
What length and diameter is the coil? Did you say that you turn on the water that flows through the tube, just barely above a trickle?
20', 3/8" diameter. Yeah, just barely above a trickle.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Turn up the flow of the chill water. Having it as just a trickle is probably the entire reason your chill time sucks so bad.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
tojo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Water flow is definitely an issue. You are supposed to run water through the IC at a good clip, like half bore at least, since the job of the chiller is to take away heat from the wort.

As was also said above a good investment would be a five gallon pail, a small pond pump (got mine at home improvement store for about $25. I've been using this set up (with 5 lbs of ice & water in pail) for five gallon batches and it gets cool in about 15 minutes.

I'm going to graduate to do some ten gallon batches so I'm gonna invest in a CFC utilizing a similar set up just a bigger pump.

I love a good train wreck!!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1228 Times on 994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Turn up the flow of the chill water. Having it as just a trickle is probably the entire reason your chill time sucks so bad.
This.

Cheers!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Maximizing the exit temperature will minimize the amount of water used, but also increase the amount of time it takes to cool. If you turn up the flow until the exit temperature doesn't drop any more, you will have maximized the heat transfer for your setup.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Do you stir or just let the water run? I have found that stirring makes a big difference.

+1 to turning up the pressure, I run mine pretty quick at first then back it off as the temp comes down to 120 range. As the summer approaches I'm going to try a prechiller with some ice blocks I think that will also help.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon

20', 3/8" diameter. Yeah, just barely above a trickle.
Problem solved. Trickle means the water will heat up and carry the hot water through 20' of copper. When on full pressure, the hot water is carried out.
Use a pond pump and a large plastic bin to recirculate ice water when the exiting water temp is around 125. I usually get down to 68 in 15 minutes.

Quick Reply