The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion chiller set-up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
Alestar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Immersion chiller set-up

Firstly, please forgive me if this is too much of a newbie question.

I am just getting into brewing at home, the first attempts have gone smoothly, with the only annoying or difficult bit of the process being waiting for over five gallons (six US gallons) of wort to cool down to a reasonable pitching temperature. Current method has been plonking my brewing stockpot in the bath. As such I have been eyeing up immersion chillers at the nearest brewing shop (especially with Christmas on the way!).

The one thing I'm a bit vague on with the immersion chillers is how you attach them all up to water supplies and such, i.e. what you would need to set up beyond the end of the chiller pipe itself!

Any tips for the best methods of getting water circulating through my (as yet unbought) chiller would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Oh yep, being a poor student living in a shared rented house, methods can't involve (a) Big garage spaces, (b) Excessive amounts of money or (c) Engineering works to fixtures or fittings. I only say that as I know some people like to get really serious about their brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Most chillers either have short hoses on each end or hose fittings. In the latter case, you would have to get a couple short hoses to connect to a standard hose bib (aka faucet). The other end goes to the yard, sink or floor drain.

If you don't have access to a hose bib, there are adapters that will connect to most kitchen faucets.

In areas where the tap water is over 70F, people use pre-chillers sitting in buckets of ice.

I think I did one batch without a chiller. I purchased a chiller before I got a good kettle.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-30-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's mine hooked up to a pre-chiller. All you need is a garden hose female on your in side and a drain hose on the out side.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Quick Reply