Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion chiller pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #11
hoplobster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I dont see why a 5 gallon bucket of ice water won't work... it's worked fine for me in the past.

I just got a $10 submersible aquarium pump, ran water through my IC and as soon as the water being discharged from the chiller wasn't scolding, i placed the hose back into the ice water a just re-circulated it from there. After a few minutes, the discharged water will be cool enough to where it won't melt the ice at a significant rate, and the cooling water in the bucket would stay around 35 degrees or so. Cools the wort down quick and doesn't waste much water... Why question the guy on why he wants to conserve water... geez.

Primary: EMPTY
Keg #1: - Hefeweizen
Keg #2: - Mild Ale
Keg #3: - CO2

On Deck: Black IPA - Imperial Stout - IPA or Double IPA - Mocktoberfest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
Benjibbad
Recipes 

I use my normal hose water to cool it down to about 100 and then recirculate ice water from a bucket with a drill pump. 6 dollars at lowes, with standard hose threads.

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 06-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #13
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdcmast View Post
When I finally build my system I want to attempt to conserver water.
Recycle a couple of 55 gallon HDPE drums and fill them w/ your cooling water. Brew during the colder months of the year, and you can conserve this 110 gallons for all your brewing needs...forever.

I would guess that the environmental impact of making ice is greater than additional water consumption...YMMV.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #14
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Check out this thread: Recirculating Ice Water Chiller - Home Brew Forums

I got a 1855GPH pump for $32 at Harbor Freight...

Old 06-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Even though we have a well, the idea of water conservation still appeals to me. Up until this thread, though, I haven't seen an idea that really appealed to me. I already have a submersible pump that came with the house that I've used to drain the basement over the years. I'm considering using it in conjuction with a large disused cistern alongside the house that is usually about half full of water. The cistern water should be about the same temp as the well water, which is ground ambient, about 55F. Submerge the pump and run a length of hose to my brew area. If I put another hose fitting on the discharge hose on my immersion chiller, I could even recycle the water to the cistern....but I see no reason to do that, I'll probably just fill 5 gallon buckets and haul them onto the garden as the wort chills. Just another example of the great ideas that come up on these forums!

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply