Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion chiller pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
xxdcmast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Immersion chiller pump

When I finally build my system I want to attempt to conserver water. I don't like the idea of running water through my ic and wasting it. So I have read on these board about people using some kind of pump and a 5 gallon bucket filled with ice water to cool the wort.

My question is what type of pumps are these and where can I get one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Any store that sells pond supplies... Lowes Hardware has them as well... Home Depot...

Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Next time you are in Home Despot go to the plumbing section. There are many pumps on display. Your best bet would be a submersible.

or just google

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdcmast View Post
When I finally build my system I want to attempt to conserver water. I don't like the idea of running water through my ic and wasting it. So I have read on these board about people using some kind of pump and a 5 gallon bucket filled with ice water to cool the wort.

My question is what type of pumps are these and where can I get one.
A little off topic, but I was wondering why the big concern about using some water for chilling? Are you in a drought area or something? My point is that the water is probably cheaper than the ice in terms of both energy cost and expenditure if you have to buy it. It takes energy to make ice. Water is a renewable resource and ti too requires energy to treat and deliver it to you. What I'm getting at is that using ice may be less environmentally responsible than using water. I'm just guessing here and don't know for certain. You can also recover the cooling water and use it for something else.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Shay
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
A little off topic, but I was wondering why the big concern about using some water for chilling? Are you in a drought area or something? My point is that the water is probably cheaper than the ice in terms of both energy cost and expenditure if you have to buy it. It takes energy to make ice. Water is a renewable resource and ti too requires energy to treat and deliver it to you. What I'm getting at is that using ice may be less environmentally responsible than using water. I'm just guessing here and don't know for certain. You can also recover the cooling water and use it for something else.
Places like Texas has water that is warm especially in the summer. You can only chill to the ambient water temperature.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I bought a $20 submersible Pond pump that I used with my old IC.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
xxdcmast
Recipes 

I do want to conserve water but I also want to make sure that I can cool the wort quickly even in the summertime when the tap water is warmer.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just one 5 gallon bucket of ice water will not cool it completely. I have to use ground water for the initial 100 degrees or so and finish it with ice water and a pump. I capture the runoff water in a trash can to water plants later. I use a submersible sump pump.

Gary

Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
ben_j8mmin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

These 20$ pond pumps, how many gpm or what diameter pipe will lift how high?
how big of a pump are we talking?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Just to be the Devil's advocate...

I would tend to think the cost difference between freezing water and using more water would be quite small. Electricity and water are both pretty cheap in the big picture.

The average hose bib puts out about 10 GPM. 20 minutes to cool your wort uses 200 gallons of water. That is quite a bit of water to recover. A washing machine uses a bout 50 g per load.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Quick Reply