The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion chiller for Keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Immersion chiller for Keggle

So I'm in the process of converting a keg to a boil kettle. My small 25' 3/8" immersion chiller just ain't big enough. For the time being, I'm still planning on only doing 5 gallon batches, however it's always possible that I may do 10 at some point. With that being said, I really don't want to mess with a march pump, plate chillers, or CFCs. I've got a pretty good system with my immersion chiller and a submersible pump in an ice water bath. So can anyone recommend an immersion chiller for a keggle that would be suitable for both a 5 or 10 gallon boil. I was looking at something like this one at morebeer. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/195...The_5_10_Split

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That one looks good because it will probably span the entire keggle. I built my own 50' immersion chiller when I built my keggles. It's all one very tightly wrapped coil and it still sits above the wort level when I do 5 gallon batches. It has about 6 coils sticking out which I don't like because it's never fully sanitized unless I sanitize it pre boil. I haven't had any infections though, so I guess it's okay.

Either way...mine works perfect for 10 gallons. The one you linked to looks good to me.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My 25 foot 3/8 chiller that works fine for 10 gallon batches.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
My 25 foot 3/8 chiller that works fine for 10 gallon batches.
On mine, it doesn't reach up to the top of my kettle. I can put the entire thing inside the kettle and the curved piece only comes up to about half way. I thought about modifying it and extending it so that it will extend up and over the lip of the kettle so that I can attach the hoses.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

as long as you cut out the top big enough to fit that sucker in,looks good.

but you may find it cheaper to build one. so easy to make,if you can get a good deal on some copper. took me all of 20 min to make mine and thats with a beer in hand.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

50' of 3/8" copper is about $40-$50 on amazon.com Hose fittings are about $4-$5 each. So with a little time and some patience you could make the same thing for $60 and you can guarantee that it will fit since your building it.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
50' of 3/8" copper is about $40-$50 on amazon.com Hose fittings are about $4-$5 each. So with a little time and some patience you could make the same thing for $60 and you can guarantee that it will fit since your building it.
Cool...just curious, would 1/2" tubing be that much more efficient than the 3/8"? Looks like there's about a $20 difference...would it be worth it? Also, has anyone had experience permanently mounting the chiller inside the keg? Just wondering what pros/cons or extra material I would need to accomplish that.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

i have that morebeer 5/10 split and am very happy with it. a pump and the whirlpool attachment would get you down into fermenting temps faster, but this beast will do a good job standing still if agitated a bit while cooling.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheGreat View Post
Cool...just curious, would 1/2" tubing be that much more efficient than the 3/8"? Looks like there's about a $20 difference...would it be worth it? Also, has anyone had experience permanently mounting the chiller inside the keg? Just wondering what pros/cons or extra material I would need to accomplish that.
Although i did find this one for under $60. not a 5/10 split but 3/8" and 50' with welded hose fittings. not to bad if you ask me.

off hand i don't know the efficiency difference of those diameters.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Funkatollah
Recipes 

As for mounting the chiller inside the keg, it would then be a heat exchanger (HEX). There is a thread debating HERMS vs. RIMS and alot of questions can be answered.

Thread

Quick Reply