Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I'm in trouble..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
SippinSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I'm in trouble..

Took a trip with the kids to local brew shop. First time being in one. I'm currently on my second brew using a Mr.Beer kit. After my first batch, realized it's not enough beer! Decided to get a second batch started while i research into some bigger equipment. First thing I see, all these extracts for 5$ less than I've been paying with coopers extracts.

All sorts of yeast. Beer brewing kits etc all much cheaper than I imagined.

Almost pulled out the visa for a little shopping spree!

Left with a 7gal fermenting bucket, measurements are printed on the outside(my mr beer is just molded plastic measurements on the back) air lock, rubber grommet, hydrometer(need to learn how to use) and some syphoning equipment.

Not gonna do anything but extract brewing so I should be good. They didn't have a thermometer besides the peel and stick on the fermentor type. Do you all use anything else??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
grainbill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Pick up a copy of "Joy of Homebrewing", read a few chapters and then pull out that Visa card again!

Old 09-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Flboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Pick up a 33. Lb of your LME. 60 bucks at my local shop. FYI, use soda bottles for bottling for now, puttzy, yes, but so easy!
I found, Brew Ware: How to Find, Adapt & Build Homebrewing Equipment, a fantastic help!

Old 09-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
hopjunkie26
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What Grainbill said...

If you already have the kettle/pot big enough you should be set for brewing and fermenting. I am assuming you are bottling so you will need bottles, caps, capper, etc.

From there it is just upgrading...and if you are like most, you will want to upgrade very quickly. You can pick stuff up like a wort chiller, kegging equipment, bottle tree, and stuff like that.

Then comes the move to All Grain. Honestly, I wish I would have skipped extract and went straight to All Grain but that is just me looking back.

Welcome to the obsession!

Bottles: Old Course Scottish Ale, Marock's Ole Maibock, Dirt Road Blonde

Fermenting: PS I Like It A Latte (Pumpkin Stout)

Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainbill View Post
Pick up a copy of "Joy of Homebrewing", read a few chapters and then pull out that Visa card again!

I would recommend "How To Brew" by John Palmer; more current information IMO and a great book.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalarchio View Post
I would recommend "How To Brew" by John Palmer; more current information IMO and a great book.

This. I've read both as well. Charlie has updated the book more recently but I like Palmer's book a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
rlmiller10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalarchio View Post

I second "How to Brew" as the best beginner book. A version is also available online at howtobrew.com.

And you are correct, you are in trouble. Soon you will want a fermentation chamber with temp control then an entire kegging set up then....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 09-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
dkevinb
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Having made this journey myself over the last year or so, congratulations! Palmer's book is really good (you can read the first edition online for free). The Mr. Beer fermenter is fine for small batches, but their kits are not great. If you're brewing 5-gallon batches in your new bucket you're going to want a bottling bucket, too. I second the suggestion of using soda bottles to start with. Free, easy, and they work quite well. You can move on to fancier bottles or kegs later.

I'd start with one of the all-extract recipes from Palmer's book and go from there. Next you'll want to do steeping grains, which are about as hard as making a cup of tea. Then, who knows?

Fermenting: Citra pale ale, Simple Cider
Bottled: Cascade pale ale, ESB, Amarillo pale ale, American brown ale, Honey Cider, Mandarin orange mead

Quick Reply