Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Im switching to better bottles !!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
Vels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Im switching to better bottles !!

This weekend i had to keg/bottle 3 brews. So on Wednesday i hauled 3 carboys out on the deck to cool crash, and Sunday back to the kitchen. These thins weigh 10 pounds empty each, and held just above 6 usgal each. It was killing my back.
After talking to the treasurer about the hazard of glass carbuys, and the weight issue too, i got the go ahead to replace my glass.
Also the fact that my carbuys are the 70's wine baloon style, made me quite nervous after reading the stories about loosing hands and feet.

Today i use a bucket for primary and glass for secondary. I cannot really decide wether to use the BBs primary too as that will cut down my batch size a lot i think.
Today i do 6gal batches in 8gal primary bucket and 6,5gal glass secondary.

Do you guys use your BB's for primary, and is so what is your batch size ?
Also what size blowoff hose will fit in a BB if to be used as primary ?
And do you use a brush the get the krausen ring out, or just chemestry ?

Cheers
Jakob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't heard stories about people losing hands and feet. Please, do tell [*gathers 'round the campfire*]

I have all glass, mainly because they were all given or loaned to me. If I need to purchase more at any point, I'll probably go better bottle, but in the meantime, I just keep all my carboys in plastic milk crates.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I haven't heard stories about people losing hands and feet. Please, do tell [*gathers 'round the campfire*]

I have all glass, mainly because they were all given or loaned to me. If I need to purchase more at any point, I'll probably go better bottle, but in the meantime, I just keep all my carboys in plastic milk crates.
This link was floating around here a way's back. http://brewing.lustreking.com/articles/brokencarboys.html

Our own brewpastor makes an appearance in it...

*shivers* Reading only the first couple was enough to make me shift to buying BB's whenever I need a new one.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I am switching gradually to most BBs. I will keep the big glass ones for my wines, because they stay in there so long, I'm rarely hauling them around. Still, I have a 6 gallon carboy here next to me, filled with 6 gallons of wine. I'm NOT looking forward to moving it to crash cool it, or to rack it.

Because BBs only come in sizes up to 6 gallons, I still primary in ale pale buckets, usually.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm planning on getting rid of my glass, too, and using 8 gallon buckets for primaries and 6 gallon BBs for secondaries (5.5 gallon batches).

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Because BBs only come in sizes up to 6 gallons, I still primary in ale pale buckets, usually.
I need to consider this! I use 6 1/2 gallon glass for my primaries. I haven't used an ale pale in over 10 years but the thought is suddenly appealing.

Sorry.

I don't blame you for wanting the better bottles. Every time I haul a full carboy I'm holding my breath!

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you use glass carboys be sure to have something like a crate as Evan! mentions. It isn't worth the risk. Some of the newer carboys are really cheap glass. If you are starting out I'd recommend 100% without reservations the Better Bottle.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The link to my carboy breakage horror stories has already been posted (thanks Revvy!), here are my full thoughts on the glass/plastic debate:
http://brewing.lustreking.com/articles/nomoreglass.html

I have never had to scrub the inside of a better bottle. The krausen and gunk just doesn't seem to stick to the BB as well as to glass. I just soak it in pbw or just oxyclean, and the always come out clean.

I usually do 5.5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon carboy, and sometimes use foam control. If I'm expecting big krausen, I'll use a bucket for primary.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 02-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use the bottles that I ganked from my office's water cooler 2 years ago. They work great.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustreking
The link to my carboy breakage horror stories has already been posted (thanks Revvy!), here are my full thoughts on the glass/plastic debate:
http://brewing.lustreking.com/articles/nomoreglass.html

I have never had to scrub the inside of a better bottle. The krausen and gunk just doesn't seem to stick to the BB as well as to glass. I just soak it in pbw or just oxyclean, and the always come out clean.

I usually do 5.5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon carboy, and sometimes use foam control. If I'm expecting big krausen, I'll use a bucket for primary.
Wow! What a great article.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply