New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Igloo industrial cooler vs Rubbermaid, 2 gallon vs 3 gallon, partial mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Stein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Igloo industrial cooler vs Rubbermaid, 2 gallon vs 3 gallon, partial mash tun

Downsizing my brewing equipment since I'm moving into a smaller place soon. I will now be a partial mash brewer. I've been in analysis paralysis regarding my choices for a tun. The Igloo Industrial ones (the yellow and red) look pretty heavy duty. The standard Rubbermaid ones don't look quite as sturdy, but I know they work well.

I'm also bouncing back and forth between the 2 and 3 gallon sizes. The 2 gallon ones are attractive because I can do extract + steeping grains batches in those as well. The 3 gallon is quite a bit wider, so I don't know how well steeping would work in there. There's also the size issue.

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Stein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Anyone?

I think I've decided on a 3 gallon cooler. Anyone recommend Igloo over Rubbermaid, or vice versa? They both have very different dimensions. The Rubbermaid is tall and narrow, whereas the Igloo is short but fat. I was worried that the mash would be too thin in some cases with the Igloo one.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply