Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > igloo cube pimp out

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
BayerischBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 64
Likes Given: 1

Default igloo cube pimp out

Hi there,
no this is not another replication of the various igloo cube builds.
I hope this adds a bit different view: I digged into the cube threads
thus I wanted to increase mash capacity for big beers. In the mix of
stainless braids, cpvc or copper manifolds, or the few false bottoms, this is
what I came up with.



1/2" port brass valve with rotated lever handle. Other wise the handle gets stucked at the cube. Part of the original igloo is used as a washer. Teflontapped 1" brass nipple piece inside. 1/2" quick disconnect from McMasters.


1/2" female cpvc connection with the two washer/rubber gasket.


with a copper 90deg elbow and the custom cut stainless steel false bottom.
I will extend from the elbow with a 1/2" copper tube through the false bottom. But before that I will replace the book with a set of 6-32 x3/4" stainleass screws to maintain enough space under the false bottom. the original idea was to add a braid eventually.... I might opt out to 6-32 1/2" or shorter after some testing.


EDITS:
Well, I think I am done and ready to run MLT2.0


"dip tube" with 1/2" elbow and a short piece of copper pipe.
I use the copper scrubby similar to the stainless steel braid in other threads. In fact is covers the (too wide cut-out in the false bottom) and should "filter" some of the loose grain which might get passed the false bottom etc.
False bottom with a series of #6 x 3/4" scews as spacers (and a good scrubbing with Barkeeper's friend).
Might be too much space but rough measures of 11X15" and with the tube in 45deg angle (causing a 3/8" inlet height) I get about 62 cubicinch (0.27gal) deadspace - acceptable.
A different dip tube would reduce this space for sure. But I'm ok with it for right now.

and here the whole thing. You can see how the scrubby is around the tube and even sticks out a bit to close the really bad cut out.
in the top corner you can see a screw upsidedown enabling to pull the falsebottom out of the cooler (might change this to an eye-bolt)



MLT2.0 will get a bath with PBW and hot water soon - ready for the next brew day!
EDIT end------
any thoughts and comments?

__________________
BayerischBier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
vwdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Very cool! I have been thinking about changing up my Cube mash tun, ad this may be the route that I go. How much did that false bottom set you back? And how has it worked out so far?

__________________
Hot Tubb Brew Co.
vwdan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Nic0
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nic0's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 181
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Are those just pop rivets used to elevate off the bottom?

__________________

Bottled: a strange yet somehow award winning pale ale
Primary Fermenter: Experimental porter
Kegged: Nothing, as I have no kegging equipment
Favorite Commercial Beers: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Young's D.C. Stout, Choc Last Laugh
Upscale equipment project slowly progressing.

Nic0 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 4,078
Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

Neat idea, but as a CPVC manifold igloo brewer with 89% efficiency I have to ask: what's the improvement here? It seems more difficult to clean and it is certainly more expensive. I'm not trying to nay-say a very interesting build, I'm curious what motivated you to go this route.

__________________

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

bigbeergeek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
BayerischBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 64
Likes Given: 1

Default

Set me back in which way?
I took me forever to build it - not in build time (one afternoon) but in time to find for a build and change in setup. On top of that I moved and rearranged my electric kitchen brewing.
did a xmas beer on it recently and was a bit under the OG as estimated. but I guess that was more caused getting used to the new setup than the cube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
Very cool! I have been thinking about changing up my Cube mash tun, ad this may be the route that I go. How much did that false bottom set you back? And how has it worked out so far?
__________________
BayerischBier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
BayerischBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 64
Likes Given: 1

Default

The stainless wasn't really too cheap I admit. around $40 a whole sheet (i have about a letter size piece left)

In terms of cleaning, this really rocks! dump the grains, pull the copper pipe from the "valve-connect", pull the bottom, and rinse everything with hot water. No complicated assembly or dissambly. for that it was worth it.

Done one brew on the new setup yet, so not really sure where efficiency will dial in.

Main reason was the need for more MLT space for big beers and even a double batch. Did not like the manifold or braided solutions too much. fact, I get all flat area in the cube covered with the false bottom and for the few grains which might sneak by on the sides I have the copper-scrubby at the intake. No grains in the Vorlauf at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Neat idea, but as a CPVC manifold igloo brewer with 89% efficiency I have to ask: what's the improvement here? It seems more difficult to clean and it is certainly more expensive. I'm not trying to nay-say a very interesting build, I'm curious what motivated you to go this route.
__________________
BayerischBier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
BayerischBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 64
Likes Given: 1

Default

Stainless steel bolts with stainless nuts. see above "#6 x 3/4" scews".
used a drill to widen the whole on the false bottom.
Could reduce the height a bit but its working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic0 View Post
Are those just pop rivets used to elevate off the bottom?
__________________
BayerischBier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jakenbacon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 513
Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischBier View Post
Hi there,
no this is not another replication of the various igloo cube builds.
I hope this adds a bit different view: I digged into the cube threads
thus I wanted to increase mash capacity for big beers. In the mix of
stainless braids, cpvc or copper manifolds, or the few false bottoms, this is
what I came up with.



1/2" port brass valve with rotated lever handle. Other wise the handle gets stucked at the cube. Part of the original igloo is used as a washer. Teflontapped 1" brass nipple piece inside. 1/2" quick disconnect from McMasters.


1/2" female cpvc connection with the two washer/rubber gasket.


with a copper 90deg elbow and the custom cut stainless steel false bottom.
I will extend from the elbow with a 1/2" copper tube through the false bottom. But before that I will replace the book with a set of 6-32 x3/4" stainleass screws to maintain enough space under the false bottom. the original idea was to add a braid eventually.... I might opt out to 6-32 1/2" or shorter after some testing.


EDITS:
Well, I think I am done and ready to run MLT2.0


"dip tube" with 1/2" elbow and a short piece of copper pipe.
I use the copper scrubby similar to the stainless steel braid in other threads. In fact is covers the (too wide cut-out in the false bottom) and should "filter" some of the loose grain which might get passed the false bottom etc.
False bottom with a series of #6 x 3/4" scews as spacers (and a good scrubbing with Barkeeper's friend).
Might be too much space but rough measures of 11X15" and with the tube in 45deg angle (causing a 3/8" inlet height) I get about 62 cubicinch (0.27gal) deadspace - acceptable.
A different dip tube would reduce this space for sure. But I'm ok with it for right now.

and here the whole thing. You can see how the scrubby is around the tube and even sticks out a bit to close the really bad cut out.
in the top corner you can see a screw upsidedown enabling to pull the falsebottom out of the cooler (might change this to an eye-bolt)



MLT2.0 will get a bath with PBW and hot water soon - ready for the next brew day!
EDIT end------
any thoughts and comments?
I am sorry to inform you of this sir, but it appears you have left reading material under the screen . Jk looks nice
__________________
jakenbacon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
BayerischBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 64
Likes Given: 1

Default

Graduate School does this to you
and thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbacon View Post
I am sorry to inform you of this sir, but it appears you have left reading material under the screen . Jk looks nice
__________________
BayerischBier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
yewtah-brewha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 653
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

So what is this and what is it used for?

__________________
yewtah-brewha is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IGLOO Cube MLT questions rigger7 Equipment/Sanitation 11 06-29-2013 11:22 AM
60 qt igloo ice cube MLT Irish1225 Equipment/Sanitation 15 03-11-2011 09:20 PM
Igloo Ice Cube Mash Tun brewshopmike Equipment/Sanitation 0 08-28-2010 04:03 PM
60Qt Igloo Cube Cooler ChefOdin Equipment/Sanitation 0 11-27-2009 03:19 AM
Igloo 60qt Ice Cube lid removal bwitt Equipment/Sanitation 2 05-24-2008 12:52 PM