The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Igloo 7.2 Cubic Feet - Thermostat controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Igloo 7.2 Cubic Feet - Thermostat controller?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Igloo---...&skuId=5041647

Does anyone have any experience using this freezer for a fermenter? And does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of thermostat controller to get and where to buy it?

I got this freezer on sale for $159.99, but there was no floor model. Hopefully it works out.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
hot_carl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It looks to be odd shaped for a ~7cu ft freezer...most are wider and not quite as tall, however it may work jsut fine and the eztra height might negate the need to have a collar to use 4 kegs. As far as the controller goes, the ranco or johnson controllers work fine and can be had on ebay or online brew stores and are basically plug-n-play affairs. I personally use a Love brand controller, but it requires some woring on your part and a housing for the unit if you dont want it dangling. I would look at HD right now as They have magic chef brand freezers for $158 on the floor. I just picked up a GE 7.2cu ft for $159 on sale online monday with free delivery.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

As one of the reviewers notes, and I forgot to add, the pictured model is the 5 sq. ft. version. I saw this version at the store as well so I know that the picture is extremely unhelpful. I'll have to upload a pic when it arrives.

The 7.2 cu. ft. version that I purchased had free shipping as well.

I'll look for the ranco controller to compare prices. I've found the Johnson for about $90, but was hoping to find something similar for slightly less $ if possible.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
hot_carl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depends on how much accuracy you want...the manual johnson controllers(not the digital eradout ones) are closer to the $50ish mark.
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Contro.../dp/B0002EAL58
I think I paid $40 for my Love temp controller, $5 for the temp probe, and another $15 for the stuff like a cord, a box and an outlet to pluf the freezer into...I did however have to wire mine up which saved a few bucks.

Quick Reply