Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > If you BIAB...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Was it a 5 gallon batch? I assume you used 2 bags for easier management.....did you sparge/squeeze?

yes, it was a 10 gallon batch. I've done this several times now. I use two bags, no need to clamp them, there is enough extra bag left that you can just ball up the top and leave it on top of the mash without having to clamp it or worry about it falling into the mash. I do "sparge." I put the bags in a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket, and steep them at 168 with however much water I need to reach 10 gallons in the brew kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post

yes, it was a 10 gallon batch. I've done this several times now. I use two bags, no need to clamp them, there is enough extra bag left that you can just ball up the top and leave it on top of the mash without having to clamp it or worry about it falling into the mash. I do "sparge." I put the bags in a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket, and steep them at 168 with however much water I need to reach 10 gallons in the brew kettle.
Nice. Sounds like you're doing the "dunk sparge". I plan on doing the "lift and rinse" . I guess most of the volume/displacement problems come from those who are using the true full volume, no-sparge method. Hmmmmmmm......Hmmmmmm.....the wheels are turning....

Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Would a 20 or 25 gallon pot be too big due to dead space below the element?
I recirculate and use one vessel, so there is effectively no dead space.

No sparge, no chill, no MLT, no HLT, no propane, no worries...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:23 AM   #14
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Nice. Sounds like you're doing the "dunk sparge". I plan on doing the "lift and rinse" . I guess most of the volume/displacement problems come from those who are using the true full volume, no-sparge method. Hmmmmmmm......Hmmmmmm.....the wheels are turning....
ive done the lift and rinse with really good results too, it just gets tiring on the arms. BIAB is the way to go btw, i regularly get in the low to mid 80s in efficiency.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #15
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
I recirculate and use one vessel, so there is effectively no dead space.
I see it the same way The only thing I'm worrying about is having the basket too high, and not having the grains be completely immersed because the pot is too large.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
I see it the same way The only thing I'm worrying about is having the basket too high, and not having the grains be completely immersed because the pot is too large.
ScubaSteve,

With the rims system your going to be using, wouldn't you just have to account for the dead space under the basket?

I would try that and then sparge with your lift method. Ading until you reach your preboil volume.

The only problem I'm thinking of would be the small particals left behind that may not get picked up and recirculated during your rims operation.

Bull

Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
just make sure it clears the element (you're electric,right?) and you'll be fine. I do 5 gallon batches in my 15 gallon pot and the grains are nicely submerged. My basket is about 2.5" off the bottom. For a 5 gallon batch I start with over 8 gallons of water (plus volume of grains) at start of mash, so the pot is just over half full.

No sparge, no chill, no MLT, no HLT, no propane, no worries...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
just make sure it clears the element (you're electric,right?) and you'll be fine. I do 5 gallon batches in my 15 gallon pot and the grains are nicely submerged. My basket is about 2.5" off the bottom. For a 5 gallon batch I start with over 8 gallons of water (plus volume of grains) at start of mash, so the pot is just over half full.
Okay, that makes sense. I plan on using a 20 gallon pot, so it couldn't have THAT much more volume below the element.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
ScubaSteve,

With the rims system your going to be using, wouldn't you just have to account for the dead space under the basket?

I would try that and then sparge with your lift method. Ading until you reach your preboil volume.

The only problem I'm thinking of would be the small particals left behind that may not get picked up and recirculated during your rims operation.

Bull
Your post reminded me that the RIMS system can make up for any unsubmerged grain, i.e. by recirculating I will constantly "bathe" the grain and conversion will still occur. This is good to know for those smaller batches.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Anyone with significant area under a false bottom should at least "vorlauf" a few quarts after a few minutes of mashing just to get that water mixed in well. Stirring above the FB doesn't really do it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Tags
biab basket keggle

Quick Reply