New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > If I burn down the house, SWMBO wont let me brew...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #21
slnies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Is Not Enough
If your draw is 560mA, You would need a minimum of .56A rating, in most situations, you'd not want to accept the minimum. You should shoot for one in the .75 range.
It doesn't matter what your transformer(or PC supply) can produce as what it actually produces is determined by load. You may be cheaper out to just get a couple of relays and the cheaper thermostats.
You still need a power source large enough to handle the load. Most transformers in the size range that he is looking for are sized in VA or volt amps. Watts are directly related to to VA through Olm's law and Watts law. So your sugestion of .75A is really a 75 VA transformer. So a transformer in to 100VA range would be as small as I would go. Keep in mind also that any thing else that is added to he line, like resistors or capacitors also add to this, that would also include his control. These are all areas of power loss. Door bell transformers work great, and they are cheap. It should also be noted that in this category of transformers a larger size might be cheaper as they are more common. S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Last edited by slnies; 01-18-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed
I know they run on 24V DC, and the fans are 24V DC. Am I overloking anything? The parts I am looking at are below.
The thermostats don't run on 24V, they run on 3V supplied by batteries.

I'd run it on 12v as pc power supplies and fans are easy to find and inexpensive

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Your correct lustreking, I just went out and got a thermostat to play with and it does run off of 2AAA batteries. I guess where I was getting confused is the statement "runs without batteries on 24V system" so I was trying to find a way to wire it in so I did not have to use/change batteries (not that big a deal i know)

Alright so I guess I dont have to worry about a 24V system anymore, and I do have a computer power supply lying around:
power-supply.jpg

So, the questions now are:
1) If I am sticking to a 12V system, which of those wires do I use?
2) Is there a way to get a 6V supply to just solder leads to the battery terminals in the thermostat (still hopeful here )

Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #24
lustreking
Recipes 

Quote:
So, the questions now are:
1) If I am sticking to a 12V system, which of those wires do I use?
2) Is there a way to get a 6V supply to just solder leads to the battery terminals in the thermostat (still hopeful here )
1) I think the yellow wire is +12V, and the black is common

2) I'm not sure what you want 6V for, but if you're hoping to eliminate the battery (I wouldn't bother they'll last at least a year), you'll want around 3V.

My brewing site:

Old 01-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #25
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustreking
2) I'm not sure what you want 6V for, but if you're hoping to eliminate the battery (I wouldn't bother they'll last at least a year), you'll want around 3V.

Um, yeah, 3V thats what I meant to say...... derrrr
<-----moron

As far as eliminating batteries, If I already have the power supply, why not? I think half the fun in brewing is learning the skills to build new toys. Of course as I pointed out above and as this entire thread testifies towards my electronics skills:
<-----moron

Just hoping to learn more and get a fermentation chiller/intact homestead/intact marriage by the time it is all over

Old 01-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #26
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

ok, found this site:

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

I will start here, and let everyone know how it goes!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #27
lustreking
Recipes 

Quote:
ok, found this site:

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

Good luck! You should be able to use the 3.3V supply to power the thermostat.

My brewing site:

Old 01-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #28
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
ok, found this site:

Great Link! That one's goin' in the ol' bookmarks.

Matt
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 01-22-2008, 04:03 AM   #29
jas0420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I started out with the intentions of using a computer power supply as a "temporary" solution on the fermentation cabinet I built. It's still there.

I had found the same link above when I was trying to figure out how to get mine to work. I'm sure that way works fine and is nice and pretty.

Here's a lazy man's way to get it to work:

Tie the green wire to any black wire. Plug in an old hard drive to one of the connectors. You're done.

Computer power supplies require a load to operate. The link above accomplishes this with a resistor, but a hard drive will work as well. (Again, this was supposed to be temporary until I purchased a more permanent power supply!)

You can pull off 3.3v with an Orange/Black pair... +5v with a Red/Black pair... +12v with a Yellow/Black pair, and a few others that I don't believe that I made use of.

Last edited by jas0420; 01-22-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #30
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0420
I started out with the intentions of using a computer power supply as a "temporary" solution on the fermentation cabinet I built. It's still there.

I had found the same link above when I was trying to figure out how to get mine to work. I'm sure that way works fine and is nice and pretty.

Here's a lazy man's way to get it to work:

Tie the green wire to any black wire. Plug in an old hard drive to one of the connectors. Your done.

Computer power supplies require a load to operate. The link above accomplishes this with a resistor, but a hard drive will work as well. (Again, this was supposed to be temporary until I purchased a more permanent power supply!)

You can pull off 3.3v with an Orange/Black pair... +5v with a Red/Black pair... +12v with a Yellow/Black pair, and a few others that I don't believe that I made use of.

Oh thats awesome.... Here I was racking my brain about how to put this together with only what I have around the house, and BAM! There you go...

Damn school is rotting my brain... that or the beer... no must be school

Quick Reply