idophor question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosnowsk8er

Reaction score
okay, so i picked the stuff up, got a needle (1CC) which is 1 Ml ...right? seems like alot, but whatever i belive a cc in a ml...anyways, my question is. is it okay for the watered down solution to touch ur skin? or should i wear gloves.

it might be possible to get a little bit of a reaction...like a skin irritation or dermatitis but otherwise its safe.

but I gotta tell you, star-san is the shiznit for sanitizing.

i was using star-san....but the whole rinsing thing with tap water kind of defeats the purpose does it not...

I couldn't tell from your post, but you're gonna need more than 1cc. 1 TBSP= 15cc.

I use 2.5 capfulls in 5 gallons in a cooler... Sorry, I don't speak metric except for engine sizes ( old redneck )

Add the iodophor to water slowly until you get a light amber color solution, this is the normal working strength solution used. The color of the solution is an indicator of the free iodine doing the sanitizing work. Like all the iodine based sanitizers it will stain anything that it comes in contact with so be careful when pouring the full strength solution. A good tip is to cap the bottle after pouring and rinse it off to avoid the brown rings and spots when you set the bottle down on something.

kladue said:
A good tip is to cap the bottle after pouring and rinse it off to avoid the brown rings and spots when you set the bottle down on something.
Great tip that I had to figure out myself, after staining my SWMBO's nice cutting board. :eek: But I also use 2.5 capfulls for a five gallon batch. Its a nice even amber color once stired up.

1 ml iodophor / 1 L of cold water is fine ratio (5 gallons ~ 19 L), but you can multiply that up to a larger batch size. You are the only person I've ever heard of that uses a syringe to measure it out.

There's also a pretty good fudge factor with iodophor, and it loses its potency with time. The important part is that amber color. That is how you know you have proper sanitizing power.

TL

Be aware also if you use too much (dark color), chances are your going to stain your plastics like your racking bucket and tubing. Not a real big deal but when they are stained it is hard to notice if you missed something while cleaning.

Yes, starsan is no rinse...I think prosnow was confused, or just wasted a lot of time rinsing.

ya, for some reason i thought i had star san but really its called sparkle brite (the pink stuff) lol its all making sense now....anyone use this sparkle brite?

Back