Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ideas for a water supply line

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
cswank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ideas for a water supply line

Hello,
I need to connect a water supply line to my brewery. I was planning on connecting a copper flex tube to the supply line of the sink in my basement, then run it about 40 feet to where I am building my brewery.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea for an alternative to the copper flex tubing. It is expensive, I always have a hard time connecting it so it doesn't leak, and on the brewery end I have a solenoid valve that has a plastic NPT connection, and in the past I've also have had a hard time coupling copper tubing to plastic solenoid valves.

So, does anyone no of a cheap alternative that won't make my beer taste like a garden hose?

Craig

PS. You can the beginnings of my brewery and the software that I'm working on to control it at: http://code.google.com/p/pybrewery/ (I love the electronic/software part of this, beer is a happy by-product).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
fatherbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

get some food grade plastic tubing that is 5/8 in size and just put your own male and female ends on it you could even put a piece in the middle of it to add sanatizer if you feel thats neccasary or you could use PVC pipe 1/2' with a short piece food grade hose on both ends to make connections simpler.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
cswank
Recipes 

Thanks. I searched for 'food grade tubing' on google and found a bunch of stuff. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I think that's the way to go, for sure.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
fatherbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

alot of hardware stores carry it the one near me does not have 5/8' but you could call and ask

Old 03-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Try the HD or Lowes plumbing section for 1/2" "PEX" water supply tubing and the push connect fittings. Only caution is try not to kink tubing during installation and pull on the tubing after install to test the push in tube connections to save a suprise when water is turned on and a tube pops out.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Another alternative is PEX tubing. This is a plastic water line and has all kinds of fittings that make it easy to connect and adapt to copper lines. It is semi-flexible and relatively easy to install. Or so I'm told, I have no personal experience with it. Big box home stores like Lowes or Home Depot sell it.

If you want a temporary supply, go to an RV supply store and buy some of the potable water hose they sell. It looks like white garden hose.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
cswank
Recipes 

Thanks to the PEX suggestions. I must amend my original 'I think that's the way to go, for sure.'

Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Ditto on PEX. The fitting are expensive, but you only need one at each end. When my garage was built that's what they used and I've added to it with no tools other than a sharp knife and a cup of hot water. Everything in the garage froze this winter and no leaks, no damage.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
cswank
Recipes 

I like the PEX. I already have the water line running to my brewery. One step closer...

Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
addis29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Doesn't Pex tubing require a tool to attach the fittings. Pex is nice but that tool is expensive.

Quick Reply