Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ice water pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
SevenBirch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well my chiller is just 25ft with 3/8 pipe. So smaller pump could be OK since just half the IC length you two have.

Any thoughts on could it have too much flow? Certain flow rate would be too fast to allow for good heat transfer? If not I'll just get Max power pump my budget allows at the time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenBirch View Post
Any thoughts on could it have too much flow? Certain flow rate would be too fast to allow for good heat transfer? If not I'll just get Max power pump my budget allows at the time.
Well, there really isn't such a thing as too much flow to allow for good heat transfer. I think you mean efficient heat transfer. Faster flow will always cool faster than slower flow if the input water temp is a constant. When using a pump like you intend, the faster the flow the better, although there are diminishing returns when the flow gets to a certain point. The more important thing is to get the wort moving around the coils by stirring the pot.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenBirch View Post
Well my chiller is just 25ft with 3/8 pipe. So smaller pump could be OK since just half the IC length you two have.

I don't think you could have too much flow. When I'm cooling with water from a hose, I have some concern about how much water I'm using so I try to balance flow with efficiency. But if you are recyling the water from an ice bath, I would think the faster the better.

Quick Reply