The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ice Cream Motor Stirrer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeGnomes View Post
Warning.. HIJACK..

This discussion brought up a new thought for me..

Ice cream get's pretty thick and heavy in the process.. considering this.. do you think one of these motors has enough torque to run a grain mill? They certainly run at a low enough speed.. (too low?)
Way too slow.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Are you talking about a HLT or a mash tun?
HLT. In some herms the coil is suspended in the HLT to heat the wort flowing through it. The HLT water determines the mash temp. Supposedly not stirring the water in the HLT could cause the wort to get too hot in one location and too cool in the other.

Personally, I don't think there is enough time for the wort to overheat/underheat while going through the coil, but I have never tested it to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeGnomes View Post
Warning.. HIJACK..

This discussion brought up a new thought for me..

Ice cream get's pretty thick and heavy in the process.. considering this.. do you think one of these motors has enough torque to run a grain mill? They certainly run at a low enough speed.. (too low?)

Interestingly, I was watching a vid a few months ago where an Ozzy used a windshield wiper motor with a 120v to 12v device to run his.. I wouldn't have thought of that.. Might make a great DIY.

HIACK OFF
The ice cream motor is way too slow and way too underpowered to crush grain. I'm still racking my brain for something cheap and easy to use for that though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply