Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > IC chillosaurus rex

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default IC chillosaurus rex

I made this a few weeks ago based on some thinking and some posts here. I wanted to improve performance over my standard 3/8" 25 foot IC. I had already made a 50 foot 1/2" version for my brew club based on BobbyM's howto, which worked very well, but I wanted something a little different, a combination of that with a rib cage design. So this is what I have. Sorry the images are a bit big.

As you can see the idea is that the incoming cold water line is 1/2" hard pipe which gets split into two 1/2" flexible copper chillers that are intertwined. The idea of splitting the incoming water into two was not mine, I picked it up here and liked it. It's like two mini coils. Then at the bottom they come back together into another T and up and out. The performance getting the wort down below 120 blows my smaller chiller away, but things slow down after that. This weekend I am going to whirlpool while chilling using a pump and see what that does.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Holy copper. Wow, looks nice. How long does it take to chill from boiling to whatever temp you can get too? How slow does it get when it gets below 120?

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 09-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

In a 5 gallon batch I hit 140 in about 2.5 minutes, 120 in 10. Then it slowed down. I didn't measure the tap temp, but it took a good while to hit 75, long enough that I was a little disappointed frankly. I did slow the water down after 120. I will try to do a better test this weekend, plus the whirlpool.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
GoodDogShelby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I envy your ability to bend copper without kinking. My IC looks like I drug it behind the car for miles.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just wrapped it around a corny. I've done it numerous times so I've kind of gotten the hang of it. I'm really just hoping this thing will chill decently without the hassle of switching to ice water.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
I didn't measure the tap temp, but it took a good while to hit 75, long enough that I was a little disappointed frankly. I did slow the water down after 120. I will try to do a better test this weekend, plus the whirlpool.
Only slow the water down if you want to conserve water.

The key for ICs are water input temp (key for all types of chillers) and movement of water over the coils. Either stirring the wort or using a pump-aided recirculation whirpool would solve the second issue.

For the first issue, you either need colder tap water (pretty much impossible in the summer in some places) or run ice water through the IC (some examples in the DIY forum). You don't need a fancy pump for that since wort isn't in contact with the pump - just a pond pump.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes I do have a pond pump which I used to recirc water through my smaller IC after it dropped low enough from the tap water. This beast uses a lot of water so I did slow it down. At some point I guess I'm just fighting physics, it's more water or more time. I will probably use the pond pump after I get the temps down to 110, at least this will get me there quick.

I'm looking forward to some cooler temps, our tap water will get down to the 50's pretty quick.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>The key for ICs are water input temp (key for all types of chillers) and movement of water over the coils. Either stirring the wort or using a pump-aided recirculation whirpool would solve the second issue.

+1

Stirring will make a big difference. I'll bet you can get that 20 degree drop from 140 to 120 down from 7.5 minutes to 5. But once you come within 20 degrees of your tap water, it will greatly slow down. At that point I switch to cold water fed by a pond pump sitting in an ice both.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sorry for any bad formatting, posting from my phone. Brewed a simcoe ipa tonight, ran a whirlpool while chilling. This is timed from flameout with 64 degree tap water:

1 min 165
2 min 140
3 min 120
4 min 106
5 min 97
6 min 91
7 min 86
8 min 82
9 min 79...

Then I had to help the swmbo load the car. It was slowing pretty dramatically but I think I could be within pitching range around 15 min. I came back at 18 min and it was at 69. Whirlpool is definitely key! This is a definite improvement.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
tom_hampton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have 50' of 1/2" copper, in a single coil arrangement. I get the same cooling, 7 minutes below 90F. At that point I switch to recirc/ice water using two 8 lbs bags of ice. 8 additional minutes to 60F.

(with constant stirring)

Fermenting: Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale, Scottish 80
Next Up: Brown Porter?

www.tomhampton.info

Quick Reply