Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I want a double wide deep sink!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
amishland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I want a double wide deep sink!

I saw a few guys on here have real nice deep sinks.

I have a nice clean single deep sink connected to my washing machines output. It is a task to clean cornys and carboys and a straight up pain to wash Mashtun and my keggle in. I want a big boy sink, I want to redo my basement laundry room to include a double wide deep sink. And storage shelves for my brewing gear.

It is now not practical to clean my keggle and other equipment in the cold michigan winter outside using a hose. (PS this cramped cleanup inside is reducing the amount of winter brewing way more than the standing out in the cold)

I can not find much using google. or window shopping homedepo or lowes

I search craigslist hoping to find one from a restaurant but the ones I find are too big to get it home or conventional sinks.

Any one have ideas for searches or sources, and those with great wash setups do you care to share any pics here?

cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

I tried to go out and buy one a month or so ago and man was I disappointed in the quality available at big box stores. I'd be interested in knowing where to get a good deep utility sink too.

I will say that you are much better off building a keg and carboy washer (plans abound on the intraweb) with a sump pump in a bucket for the kegs and carboys. I built one of those and it changed my life. Less than $100 and about 2 hours total of picking out parts at home depot and assembling, and I am far from handy (this is the most complicated thing I have DIY'ed, I hate DIY).

I hear you on hosing off the keggles outside in the cold though, believe me.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bummer, i was hoping that I would have gotten some tips by now.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2779 Times on 2727 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I tried to go out and buy one a month or so ago and man was I disappointed in the quality available at big box stores. I'd be interested in knowing where to get a good deep utility sink too.

I will say that you are much better off building a keg and carboy washer (plans abound on the intraweb) with a sump pump in a bucket for the kegs and carboys. I built one of those and it changed my life. Less than $100 and about 2 hours total of picking out parts at home depot and assembling, and I am far from handy (this is the most complicated thing I have DIY'ed, I hate DIY).

I hear you on hosing off the keggles outside in the cold though, believe me.
Mind posting pics and/or links to what you built? Sounds nice.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Mind posting pics and/or links to what you built? Sounds nice.
Same pump and very similar design to this one:

http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blog...and-keg-washer

Old 01-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

The choices today seem to be restaurant-grade or resin tubs from the big boxes. I looked into it as well 3-4 years ago when I build a new garage and converted the old one into a brewery. The single sink is too small, but I couldn't find anything I liked.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
kajon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

A dairy supply store should be able to help you out with a nice used sink. I am using one from an old milkhouse.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
unholymess
Recipes 

I've had really good luck with the El Mustee 24"x36" mop sink. I had to do a special order from Home Depot, but they tacked it onto their "shop order" for other El Mustee products and I saved the extra shipping charge. The sink was ~300 - but is really solid.

I installed mine on an elevated base to make it easier to clean heavy stuff - like dogs and kettles. If I had it to do again, I'd have made triangle frames on the end and left the middle open - I'm always standing on the 2x4 to get closer to the sink. The backerboard is ubercheap melamine. It sucks as a base for the sink (scratches and opens up), but rocks on the walls. I'm moving the sink this spring to make way for trench drains in the garage and will use tile for the base then.

Reason: added photo

Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajon View Post
A dairy supply store should be able to help you out with a nice used sink. I am using one from an old milkhouse.
kajon......would you please post a pic of what your using?

thanks for both of the tips "milk supply house" and unholymess for the home depot special order "mop sink"

Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
RIBeer
Recipes 

Are there any places that deal in used restaraunt supplies? There are a couple here by me that only carry used stuff - they must do tear-outs of places that go under - there's always a stack of them there. I've also seen them at the scrap metal place down the road from me. Usually have a few dents, but I can get stuff there for the price of scrap stainless. Got my last keggle there for about $9.

Quick Reply