The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I need some March pump plumbing advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Reddog68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I need some March pump plumbing advice

Everything was going great in my brewing career, that is, until i bought a pump and installed it on my brewing cart. Something that i thought would streamline my operation (pump,CFC) has instead lengthened my brew day and caused me some headaches. In order to run a CFC, i needed a pump, so i converted my three tier system to a two tier-and this is where my troubles started. My first problem is priming the pump, it is hard to prime when i am pulling from the CFC, not really an issue when pulling from HLT.
I have the pump plumbed to either draw from my HLT, or PULL from my CFC. Should i have it plumbed to pull directly from the BK (push through CFC)?
I am also getting a lot of foam in the fermenter when i am filling them up, so i am thinking i have a leak somewhere, but i have checked all connections. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am going to attempt to post some pics... wish me luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, you want to pull from the BK and push through the CFC>

Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, the march pump doesn't like pulling anything. The liquid has to drain into the pump head by gravity at first, and then by vacuum from the wort being pushed out.

Keep in mind, like any other equipment change, there will be learning curves and growing pains. Stick it out a few times, tweak it, and you'll be happy with it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are probably also drawing air through a fitting somewhere and that will cause foaming or a loss of prime. You want any system restrictions to be on the output side of the pump and make sure the pump is below the bottom of your vessels. I find that switching the pump on then off a few times seems to burp the air out also.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Reddog68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, i will re-plumb and see how it goes.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Reddog68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, so I re-plumbed my pump to pull from the BK, and it works great once i get it primed. I am still having trouble getting the pumped primed when i am pulling from the HLT and pumping to the MLT. I have the pump mounted on the bottom of the cart, with the pump head horizontal. It is about 4.5 feet below the HLT and the MLT. I noticed some of you guys have the pump mounted higher up, with the pump head positioned vertically, doe this help? How about the length of the hoses, does it matter? Mine are about 7 feet.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You want the pump as low as possible so gravity will prime it. I have my pump head oriented vertically with the output on top. I simply open the kettle ball valve and then open the pump ball valve. Liquid fills the pump pushing air up and out - primed! Flip the switch and you are good to go.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
polecreek
Recipes 

When I first prime my pump it is ususally vacuum locked. I open outflow valves or pop a QD to get it started.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I preprime mine with water from my garden hose under pressure. It pushes out all the air and fills the pump housing with water.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
polecreek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I preprime mine with water from my garden hose under pressure. It pushes out all the air and fills the pump housing with water.
Ihad not thought of that. I will try that this spring when the hose thaws.

Quick Reply