*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I need a new burner! Help me out.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Default I need a new burner! Help me out.

My turkey fryer burner is on its last leg. The timer is starting to malfunction, and I'm stuck restarting the finicky burner several times in a brew day, and I'm just waiting for the day that it won't restart. So, I'm in the market for a new burner.

I only do 5-6 gallon AG batches with about 8 or so gallons of wort in the kettle. I don't want to spend more than $70, so I know the Blichmann burners are the cat's meow and all, but that's outside of my price range, so no need to suggest one.

I've been looking at these three:

Bayou Classic SP2

Bayou Classic SQ14

Bayou Classic SP10

The SP2 sounds like it will save me some time on my brew day with getting the water/wort to temperature much more quickly than my current 55,000 BTU setup. However, the reviewers on Amazon seem to all note that it uses a lot of propane and there is a ton of soot left behind. The SP10 and SQ14 will be similar to what I already have in terms of heating power. The SP10 seems far more popular, but the SQ14 seems to be less sooty and more efficient in terms of propane usage, at least that seems to be what I took away from the users' reviews.

So anyhow, what do you guys say? Anyone have any of these burners and could comment on what they like/dislike about them? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for burners?

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
mrdauber64
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I recently picked up the Dark Star burner from Northern Brewer for free during one of their sales(spend $125 and get a free burner). I get a full boil going using the Dark Star burner faster than my Bayou Classic, I highly recommend it and for $49 dollars you can't go wrong!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/t...FckWMgodx38AKQ

Old 02-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
jcoxen
BOFH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've got an SP10 and it works fine with the 5 gallon batches I currently brew. However, if I had to do it again...and if I buy a 2nd burner in the future...I'd probably go for a KAB4.

Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog

max384 Likes This 
Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I have an SP10. It is a LOT hotter than my turkey fryer burner. I get about five or six 5 gallon batches per tank of propane using both burners.

I have 0 soot problem from either one.

The Dark Star looks very similar to the SP10 and is about the same price. It started at $39. Then there was at least one sale like mrdauber64 said. Maybe there will be another??

Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The Darkstar burner uses a BG10 type "cup burner". Most of the turkey fryers also use this same burner. Before you toss yours, remove the center of your burner and see if there is anything blocking the inside of the burner, then take action with the timer. Most just turn the knob way past the end point, and the timer is defeated. I am not advocating this method, this is only what I have heard people say.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdauber64 View Post
I recently picked up the Dark Star burner from Northern Brewer for free during one of their sales(spend $125 and get a free burner). I get a full boil going using the Dark Star burner faster than my Bayou Classic, I highly recommend it and for $49 dollars you can't go wrong!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/t...FckWMgodx38AKQ
Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxen View Post
I've got an SP10 and it works fine with the 5 gallon batches I currently brew. However, if I had to do it again...and if I buy a 2nd burner in the future...I'd probably go for a KAB4.
This one is only slightly over my price range, and looks really good... But there were a lot of negative reviews due to poor quality control on the KAB4. That has me worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I have an SP10. It is a LOT hotter than my turkey fryer burner. I get about five or six 5 gallon batches per tank of propane using both burners.

I have 0 soot problem from either one.

The Dark Star looks very similar to the SP10 and is about the same price. It started at $39. Then there was at least one sale like mrdauber64 said. Maybe there will be another??
That's pretty good getting that many batches out of one tank of propane. Are these five gallon all grain batches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan View Post
The Darkstar burner uses a BG10 type "cup burner". Most of the turkey fryers also use this same burner. Before you toss yours, remove the center of your burner and see if there is anything blocking the inside of the burner, then take action with the timer. Most just turn the knob way past the end point, and the timer is defeated. I am not advocating this method, this is only what I have heard people say.
I did already check to see if anything was blocking the inside of the burner, and there isn't. The problem is with the timer. It will sometimes stop, sometimes it won't turn on, sometimes it will cut out in the middle of burning. I can't turn the knob past the end point unfortunately. I don't trust it enough to do another brew with it. Ruining a batch of beer isn't worth holding out on buying a new burner, which I'll have to do eventually anyhow.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 166

My batches have been 5 gallon brews using the turkey fryer on my HLT to heat the mash water then the sparge water. Then the SP10 for the boil. Most have been 60 minute brews.

You might be able to defeat the timer entirely. My turkey fryer had a pressure switch that the pot depresses. I assume it is a temperature cutoff. I looked online and found that if you disconnect the wires from the switch then join the ends together it will not cut off.

Make an online search. I too will upgrade from my turkey fryer, right now I would go with another SP10 or the Dark Star. If I won the lottery it would probably be a Blichmann or all electric.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Monkeydance
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

for the timer issue I did what you should never do, just turned the knob all the way around and zip tied it so it wouldn't move anymore. Not sure if that would help since yours might be in the actual mechanism.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
LibertyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxen View Post
I was going to buy one of those, and ended up getting a Blichman. 2 things you can say about the Blichman, fast and quiet.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The one thing we really haven't discussed is removing the timer assembly completely, and go right from the tank to the burner like basically everybody else does.
And to the guy who is getting blackened pans from the soot, move the inside of the burner to another spot. Basically, loosen the bolt and reset the inside centering of the gas director. When I got mine it was dirty too, I moved the inside to another spot and no more soot, and a whole lot more flame at the same setting.

Quick Reply