Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I need a new burner which is best/save my marriage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #21
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 46 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 88

If you upgrade your burner using the same stand you will need a larger regulator and orifice. Also Blichman is the exact same burner in fact they buy them from bayou. But the stand is nice being made of SS and all that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #22
GTaylor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worxman02 View Post
You can buy the KAB4 burner separately from the stand since you already have a stand that you could retrofit the new bigger burner to. It looks like you have the stainless version of the SQ14, so you have a really nice stand to work with. I like the design of that stand better than the KAB4/6 stand as it has more pot supports built into it. I'd look at building yourself a heatshield that would help direct all of the heat up and onto the pot, if you wanted to save some money. Though since you don't care about the price, I would buy a standalone KAB4/6 style burner ( http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm ) and mount it to your current stand and build a heatshield to direct all 100k+ BTUs into your pot.

How would this mount to the SQ14 frame, is it a direct bolt on? The smaller burner has a bottom mount bolt and the 10" one looks like it attaches on the sides. If it is a simple bolt on, then I may have to upgrade.

Thanks
Greg

Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #23
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman34 View Post
If you upgrade your burner using the same stand you will need a larger regulator and orifice. Also Blichman is the exact same burner in fact they buy them from bayou. But the stand is nice being made of SS and all that.
Everyone says this because they look the same. However, here's a quote form their website:

"We weren't satisfied with selecting just any burner for the TopTier™, so we developed and tuned our own!"

I have no idea what they do to the normal banjo burner, but I believe they do make some improvements to it. I can't believe they just take an off the shelf burner and run with it. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd27 View Post
Everyone says this because they look the same. However, here's a quote form their website:

"We weren't satisfied with selecting just any burner for the TopTier™, so we developed and tuned our own!"

I have no idea what they do to the normal banjo burner, but I believe they do make some improvements to it. I can't believe they just take an off the shelf burner and run with it. Take it for what it's worth.
I own three blichmann burners as part of a toptier. I highly doubt that Blichmann has "developed" their own. The burner is identical to the bayou, so I would suspect they come from the same source whether that be bayou or some overseas manufacturer.

Everything Blichmann works with is stainless and aluminum, it doesn't make sense that they'd bother with getting into the cast iron business just for one commodity part that they could easily get on the open market.

I'm biased because I own blichmanns, but I do believe they've engineered the burners to function better then the competition even while possibly using the same core parts.
Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.
crazyirishman34 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #25
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaylor View Post
How would this mount to the SQ14 frame, is it a direct bolt on? The smaller burner has a bottom mount bolt and the 10" one looks like it attaches on the sides. If it is a simple bolt on, then I may have to upgrade.

Thanks
Greg
No it's not a direct bolt on. You would have to change the regulator and the orifice to match the new burner.

On the Blichmann issue. They don't tune the burner any different. The improvements in the burner are all in the stand. What is different is that they have the shroud come almost to the bottom of the kettle. That makes a huge difference in how much heat gets into the kettle.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
I own three blichmann burners as part of a toptier. I highly doubt that Blichmann has "developed" their own. The burner is identical to the bayou, so I would suspect they come from the same source whether that be bayou or some overseas manufacturer.

Everything Blichmann works with is stainless and aluminum, it doesn't make sense that they'd bother with getting into the cast iron business just for one commodity part that they could easily get on the open market.

I'm biased because I own blichmanns, but I do believe they've engineered the burners to function better then the competition even while possibly using the same core parts.
So you believe they flat out lied on their website?

Like I said, take it for what it's worth. I never said they are casting their own burner, that would be silly. It is very probable, however, that they worked with the company that manufactures the stock banjo burner to make a slightly modified, better performing version for them. Companies do this all the time. I have no proof of this, however, taking their whole product line into account, I can't see them using the off-the-shelf bayou burner and making false claims that they tuned it. They look the same from the exterior, so everyone says they are identical, but Blichmann states otherwise.

I'd love to see a detailed comparison of the inside of the Blichmann version versus the Bayou Classic version. I know from my experience working with engines, that taking even a stock intake manifold and porting and polishing it, increases performance through improved airflow. Maybe the same concept is at work here? If they did turn out to be indetical on the interior, then Blichmann would have some explaining to do.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

Like I said, take it for what it's worth. I never said they are casting their own burner, that would be silly. It is very probable, however, that they worked with the company that manufactures the stock banjo burner to make a slightly modified, better performing version for them. Companies do this all the time. I have no proof of this, however, taking their whole product line into account, I can't see them using the off-the-shelf bayou burner and making false claims that they tuned it. They look the same from the exterior, so everyone says they are identical, but Blichmann states otherwise.

I'd love to see a detailed comparison of the inside of the Blichmann version versus the Bayou Classic version. I know from my experience working with engines, that taking even a stock intake manifold and porting and polishing it, increases performance through improved airflow. Maybe the same concept is at work here? If they did turn out to be indetical on the interior, then Blichmann would have some explaining to do.
The difference is in the stand not the banjo burner. If you look at rated outputs they are both 72,00 btu. It takes a huge foundry to cast iron. If they were producing those burners at the scale that a homebrew suppler would be able to they would cost a whole lot more. Think of it as casting a one off engine block. What blichmann did was engineer a stand/ shroud combo that allows most of the heat energy to reach the pot instead of just heating the surrounding air. They did this by making the shroud closer to the bottom of the pot. An added benefit of moving the shroud is the burner is quieter. I think that Blichmann does make some good products infact I have 3 Blichman kettles.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
I don't believe they're saying what you think they're saying - thus I don't believe they're close to "lying". They're saying they "developed and tuned" a burner rather then selecting one. I believe they're viewing the whole apparatus as "the burner" and they've taken a common commodity part and placed it in a well engineered stand that performs better then their competition.

I believe that's the development and tuning aspect, but I don't believe at all that they have enough business to order "custom tuned" cast burners that are virtually identical to a much cheaper and much more commonly available commodity.

EDIT: Or what crazyirishman34 said above ^^^^^^
Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Reason: didn't see last post before posting (redundant)

Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Slightly related question - are the Banjo burners convertible to NG? I understand the Blichmann's are convertible, and the consensus seems to be that they are the same/very similar to the Banjo's.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/n...or-burner.html

Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you figure in how much work Blichman does on producing the stand out of all stainless the extra $40 or so that they charge verses the Bayou burner is worth the money.

Yes you can convert them to Natural gas. You are going to loose some BTUs because NG has less BTU per cubic foot. If you get the correct orifice you can get close. You can use this valve for both

http://www.brewershardware.com/Valve...NVALVENAT.html

Quick Reply