Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I need more heat from my propane burner.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default I need more heat from my propane burner.

I have been using an e-keggle for my 10 gallon batches. I have been picking up some propane burners to be able to do two batches in a day. I have picked up two separate units, but want more heat. As I am starting out with 14 gallons of wort.

Here is one of my burners.
http://www.campchef.com/tahoe-triple-burner-cooker.html

It is a triple burner and has 30K BTU per burner.

Attached are photos of the other burner I have. I got it in a trade. I took it home before testing it. It is a pretty tired affair, without any regulator other than the air mixing valve. The hose is fragged as well. When I tested it the flame was weak and red not hot and intense. Is it worth swapping out components on this unit to make it hotter or am I just better getting rid of it and getting a new unit to get 60k or more BTU?

img_2757.jpg   img_2755.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Junkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had burners like that but they weren't quite that bad. The center part is held in with a bolt (metric if I recall) and the castings can be taken apart. A wire brush wheel on a grinder will clean them up pretty well, but you may have to replace the bolt if you mangle it up getting things apart. After I cleaned mine and reassembled they worked like new again.

I think some here have used other methods like oven cleaners, but I haven't tried that. You might want to check the gas orifice to see that it's not partially blocked too.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

A trick I used, although I don't believe it will help your situation really, was having my welder friend cut down the stand for the pot so that the pot is much closer to the flames. This cut my to-boil time down significantly, almost 15 minutes to be exact.

Quick Reply