Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I Need A Kick in the Arse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default I Need A Kick in the Arse

Hi ya'll, I'm SwAMi. Some of you may remember me from such classics as "OMFG Help!! My beer is stuck!" and "Do I really need to secondary? LOL!!!!1".

So, time is rolling along and I'm still on brewing hiatus. As some of you may recall, I recently moved and I have a nice workshop to install a brewery in. Well, as luck would have it, I have inherited a decent variety of woodworking tools, like a table saw, radial arm, lathe, etc. So, I'm contemplating a DIY wooden stand. It is possible to build a wooden stand with burners built in.

Now, I have blueprints for a metal stand, but no metalworking tools. So I'd have to pay to have this done, and it may be expensive. I'm am at a total gridlock as to what I want to build. Every time I make up my mind, I wind up deciding against it and totally scrapping my plans. I need a swift kick in the ass.

I'm looking for a good indoor AG setup. Right now I have coolers for my HLT and MLT, and a converted keg for my boil kettle. I do have a pump, but I've never used one. I'd really like to do a single-tier, but a low double tier would work.

I want to utilize the entire HBT braintrust ( ) for a big brainstorming session. There are no bad ideas.....if you can dream it up, let's hear it. I am seriously stuck and need to get the brewery back into motion. My goal is to be back operational by March 21st.

Gone unsung for far too long

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

For the cost of an abrasive blade chop saw (not terribly expensive) and some angle iron, you could bolt your stand together.

I'd go with a 2 tier system - they don't have to be very tall to work effectively so long as your pump works well.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm with Yuri. Wood for this application scares the hell out of me, magnified by the fact that it's indoors.

Besides - METAL!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Here's a link to a two-tier system with wood.
This is a link to several different system styles.
But unless you're working with electricity or plan to use your stove top, your design should be portable so that it can be taken outside.

Good luck,
Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 11-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Here's how I see it.

You have woodworking tools, so if you build it with wood, you don't have to buy any new tools.

You do NOT have metalworking tools, so if you build it out of metal, you get to buy new metalworking tools.

Sounds like an argument in favor of metal to me!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you spill enough water/wort on the wooden one, it should be flame-proof!

I think Yuri has the best suggestion so far. For the cost of a chop blade of even a cheap angle-grinder and a cut-off wheel, you can built it out of metal. You can use perforated angle iron like Brewpastor has and you wouldn't even need to worry about drilling holes.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The person with the most power tools upon death is the winner. You can not have enough. I am building an extension to my house just now and I have many many many good things! Angle grinders are fun though - just watch out for the sparks going up your nose. don't ask

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 11-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

* swift kick to ass *

Old 11-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Being an engineer, I would ask myself, "How can I build this in the most cost efficient manner, meet or exceed specifications and maintain safety?" All of these parameters must be met in the final product. If you choose to build out of wood, your cost will probably be relatively low, most specs could probably be met; however safety will always remain questionable. Naturally, fire and wood are a bad combination; but wood and water are also a bad combination. Wet wood will begin to deteriorate and strength will be compromised. Also wood continually expands and contracts with atmospheric changes, also contributing to structural weakening. The last thing you want is 170 degree plus water spilling all over you or anyone else in the vicinity. If you look at any commercially available brew sculpture, it is made from metal. This isn't done so that they just have an excuse to charge you more. It's done this way because it's simply the RIGHT way to do it. In regards to cost, it will cost more than using wood; but it can still be built rather inexpensively. You can certainly meet and/or exceed specs and it is hands down much safer than wood. The bottom line is. "If your going to do it, do it RIGHT."

Old 11-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I used industrial shelving that I purchased at Home Depot for my structure. No welding or cutting tools needed. Also, you can change the height of various sections until you're happy. Just replace the particle board shelves with pieces of expanded steel.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply