Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I need a good False Bottom. Please help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
eager_brewer
Face down on the floor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I need a good False Bottom. Please help

I have a 10 gal Gott cooler that I have converted for mashing. I tried my first all grain 2 weeks ago and it was horrible. The grains kept clogging the stailess steel braid. So I have looked into false bottoms but I am really confused so any help would be great. I used the cooler conversion that I found in the DYI section. Thanks again!

Upnext:Double Bastard Clone
Primary: Empty
Primary:Empty
Secondary: Empty
Secondary:Double Bastard CLone
Kegged: DFH 60 min Clone
Kegged: AHBS Pallisade IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
mward
Recipes 

Yeah I have the same thing, except you can't buy it from morebeer because they're out of stock on frickin everything. So I got mine from midwest:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=4123

When you get it it'll have an annoying piece of tape and label on it you'll have to remove with goo-gone or goof off or something. See, what'll happen is you'll come home after a rough day of baby sitting ingrates (Working in IT) and the puppy will take a leak on the floor right in front of you, and then you'll get your new false bottom out of the shipping box only to discover the labels they put on there won't be removed with acetone or mineral spirits, the sticky is atomic-grade. So save yourself some grief and get some goo-gone now before you order the false bottom.

Oh, and that false bottom works GREAT with the cooler.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 AM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 587 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by eager_brewer
I have a 10 gal Gott cooler that I have converted for mashing. I tried my first all grain 2 weeks ago and it was horrible. The grains kept clogging the stailess steel braid. So I have looked into false bottoms but I am really confused so any help would be great. I used the cooler conversion that I found in the DYI section. Thanks again!
Are you positive it was real stainless steel. A lot of stainless steel looking hoses at the hardware store are actually plastic, painted to look like stainless steel. What kind of recipe were you brewing. Sometimes the grain bill is the culprit and any thing you use will be a problem.

I only ask because most SS user have pretty good success.

Personally, I use a manifold and have never had a problem.
manifold_unfiltered.jpg

Old 06-04-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Has anyone tried these false bottoms?

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 06-04-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I tried the braid once (bought the plastic one first) and didn't like it, it stuck the whole sparge. Back to the false bottom and its worked perfect. When I go 10 gallon cooler I'll surely be looking for a false bottom.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
67coupe390

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use braided ss and it works great! I would do like biermuncher said and check if it is really just plastic. If it is SS them I'd say go with a larger diameter ss line. I like cheap and easy.

Coupe 390

Old 06-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I use a mani too and I've only had one problem, and that was my fault: it was my first AG and I dumped in all my grains without adding any water.

I'm really interested in trying out my turkey fryer basket with screen in it. Not only am I expecting a better, cleaner draining but it'll make removing the spent grains ridiculously easy.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
eager_brewer
Face down on the floor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mward
Yeah I have the same thing, except you can't buy it from morebeer because they're out of stock on frickin everything. So I got mine from midwest:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=4123

When you get it it'll have an annoying piece of tape and label on it you'll have to remove with goo-gone or goof off or something. See, what'll happen is you'll come home after a rough day of baby sitting ingrates (Working in IT) and the puppy will take a leak on the floor right in front of you, and then you'll get your new false bottom out of the shipping box only to discover the labels they put on there won't be removed with acetone or mineral spirits, the sticky is atomic-grade. So save yourself some grief and get some goo-gone now before you order the false bottom.

Oh, and that false bottom works GREAT with the cooler.

I took a look at this and I just have one more DUMB question. Assuming my cooler it approx 2-3 ft above my boiling kettle, how it the mash drained. Will I need a pump or will gravity to the work for me? Thank you to all who have helped!

Upnext:Double Bastard Clone
Primary: Empty
Primary:Empty
Secondary: Empty
Secondary:Double Bastard CLone
Kegged: DFH 60 min Clone
Kegged: AHBS Pallisade IPA

Old 06-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eager_brewer
Will I need a pump or will gravity to the work for me? Thank you to all who have helped!

Gravity will work just fine. It's odd to hear that you had a problem with that SS braid though, the only time I have ever heard of something like that was someone was using a plastic one by mistake. I've been using a braid for over a year without any problems, and that includes some pretty big wheat grainbills.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Quick Reply