Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I have been having problems with my motorized Barley Crusher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
B-Dub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I have been having problems with my motorized Barley Crusher

I have been having problems with my motorized Barley Crusher. For the first year it ran like a champ! No problems at all. Into the second year it started staling out during the milling. So I would just stop the motor, run the mill backwards for a rotation and then forward until I felt the grain catch and turn the motor back on. This would happen a few times while grinding in about 20 to 40 pounds. Now it seems to happen ALL the F'n time!!!

The setting was factory for a long time and now I have it open to .47. The pulleys are 10" on the mill and 1.5" on the 1725 rmp motor. This was what a few articles stated was the optimum speed.

If I get the gap setting to tight the grain refuses to mill.

Anyone have the same problems and found a way to fix it? I might start thinking about the rollers if this keeps on.

Thanks,

BW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have you tried adding the grain to the hopper after the mill was turned on?

Could be that the motor is starting to give out when the strain is on it.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Have you tried adding the grain to the hopper after the mill was turned on?

Could be that the motor is starting to give out when the strain is on it.
The thing is the malt just stops mid way through milling. Starts off great at the beginning and then it just stops feeding periodically during milling. The motor is still strong and shows no sign of strain or of giving out.

Thanks,

BW

Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So the rollers are still turning?

If that is the case perhaps the rollers need to be refurreled.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Does the motor stall or do the pullies slip? Can you tell if it is harder to grind by hand than it used to be? If so there could be something wrong with the bushings or alignment.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
So the rollers are still turning?

If that is the case perhaps the rollers need to be refurreled.
boo boo is on to something here I think... My BC does this constantly also now. Now, I love the dang thing, but after many bearing cleaning and oiling, gap settings, I have finally boiled it down to the rollers. I swear I have ran a few hundred batches through this thing so I am totally happy if this is the case, but indeed my rollers are VERY worn now. I have simply worn them down. Rather than have them re-knurled, it may be time for a new mill for me soon... BC has done me very well though...

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Last edited by Lonnie Mac; 11-28-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac View Post
boo boo is on to something here I think... My BC does this constantly also now. Now, I love the dang thing, but after many bearing cleaning and oiling, gap settings, I have finally boiled it down to the rollers. I swear I have ran a few hundred batches through this thing so I am totally happy if this is the case, but indeed my rollers are VERY worn now. I have simply worn them down. Rather than have them re-knurled, it may be time for a new mill for me soon... BC has done me very well though...
In their specs they claim a "lifetime mill" made out of 1018 CRS rollers.
I would of had the rollers case hardened at day one when brand new before it went into service. Doing a little extra when new would of made the knurling last a lot longer.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 11-28-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac View Post
In their specs they claim a "lifetime mill" made out of 1018 CRS rollers. "Lifetime warranty" hell if it's shot you should receive a free replacement mill.
I would of had the rollers case hardened day one when it was brand new before it went into service. Doing a little extra then would of made the knurling last a lot longer. MM in stainless? Yes big bucks for their SS roller MM unit and too rich for me, instead I went for a MM3-2 and case hardened the rollers and shafts after first cleaning up and polishing the journals. I hate to buy twice it costs more than once with little added effort and improvements done to them.

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 11-28-2009 at 04:15 AM.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
In their specs they claim a "lifetime mill" made out of 1018 CRS rollers. "Lifetime warranty" hell if it's shot you should receive a free replacement mill.
I would of had the rollers case hardened day one when it was brand new before it went into service. Doing a little extra then would of made the knurling last a lot longer. MM in stainless? Yes big bucks for their SS roller MM unit and too rich for me, instead I went for a MM3-2 and case hardened the rollers and shafts after first cleaning up and polishing the journals. I hate to buy twice it costs more than once with little added effort and improvements done to them.

What method can home gamers do to accomplish "case hardening"?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
What method can home gamers do to accomplish "case hardening"?
Look into the phone book unless you have a kiln, the proper temperture as well the proper oil for case hardening your part. When done I used baking soda blasted the knurling bright clean as well polished the journals back to looking almost like chrome again. The oillite bushing will like this for a long life.

Quick Reply