Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > i guess this is a question about sanitation....sort o

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
BelgianWannabe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default i guess this is a question about sanitation....sort o

so a buddy of mine recently made his first homebrew.
it tasted a little funny.

i told him about this weird taste (almost like belgian yeast funk, but with a chalky, pepto-bismol ish finish), and he said he wondered if it was because of his tub.

see, when his boil was done, he put the brewpot in a tub full of freezing cold water to cool down....apparantly there was not enough wort to weigh the pot down, and the wort spilled into the bathwater, and the water into the pot.

so, he put it back on the stove top, boiled it down a gallon, and added a few more pounds of extract.

is there any chance that something harmful/dangerous that could not be boiled away (maybe soap scum, cleaning agents) made it into his beer from the spill? if not, is there a chance that the funky taste came from the bathwater? or would that more likely come from the yeast he used (i don't remember what yeast he used, but i know he said it was a belgian yeast)

life ain't nothin but burgers, beer and blastbeats

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't imagine it's from the bathwater, unless a considerable amount got in there. Probably just a problem with the process somewhere. Sounds like phenolics, perhaps? What temps did he ferment at?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
BelgianWannabe
Recipes 

i'd say there was roughly a gallon of liquid exchange (wort into the tub/water into the pot).
he said he kept the fermentor is his room, which he always keeps at 68 F (because that is his comfort zone)

Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
BelgianWannabe
Recipes 

anyone else have any ideas? we could really use some advice here (as to whether or not to drink these things).

Old 03-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Lesson learned - throw it out. Weird tasting funky beer is gross. If the bath water did not screw it up, sounds like some other area of poor sanitation was involved.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

How clean does he keep his tub??? I seriously doubt they will do you any harm. Beer does not work that way. Pathogens don't typically take hold in beer, that is why it brewing began in ancient cultures as a source of safe potable beverages. I vote age them a bit more and taste them.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
BelgianWannabe
Recipes 

Sam C - he claimed he was careful about sanitation....but i was not there, so i guess i can't really verify that per se.

Wilserbrewer - he actually said his tub was cleaned a day, that's what i am really worried about....not necessarily pathogens, but soap scum or cleaning agents.

any thoughts?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

There's so many paths of potential yukky in your story unless someone with experience were to taste it and identify it, words really aren't sufficient.

It could be just green and need more time to condition, it could be that you all don't like belgian yeast flavors and the beer is fine, it could be soap, it could be phenols...it could be something in the brewing process that you haven't even mentioned...

What we need it to find an experienced brewer (especially a bjcp certified judge who has taken the off flavors course and tasted control samples) to taste the beer and see what the issue is.....unfortunately trying to diagnose an off flavor from something written on a computer screen is sorta like a deaf guy trying to explain jazz...it's sorta difficult not being able to actually taste it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Call it a Belgian and you're good to go! Seriously, the second boil should have killed anything that might have tried to contaminate it. The taste probably is from the Belgian yeast if that is what he used.

We have an old saying among our club members:

"Just because it's infected doesn't make it a Belgian!" lol

It's hard to guess what the problem might be or if there is actually a problem at all. In any case, it probably won't make you sick or kill you.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
BelgianWannabe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
There's so many paths of potential yukky in your story unless someone with experience were to taste it and identify it, words really aren't sufficient.

It could be just green and need more time to condition, it could be that you all don't like belgian yeast flavors and the beer is fine, it could be soap, it could be phenols...it could be something in the brewing process that you haven't even mentioned...

What we need it to find an experienced brewer (especially a bjcp certified judge who has taken the off flavors course and tasted control samples) to taste the beer and see what the issue is.....unfortunately trying to diagnose an off flavor from something written on a computer screen is sorta like a deaf guy trying to explain jazz...it's sorta difficult not being able to actually taste it.

ok...first of all, thank you for responding, you are probably the most knowledgable person i have spoken with on this board'

anyway, i love belgian yeast flavors, but this flavor is unfamiliar and hard to describe.

but my biggest concern is...if the tub were cleaned that day, do you think there is any there a chance that enough soap or cleaning agents could have made their way into the batch to cause harm to anyone who drinks the brew.
enough of a chance that i'd be better to dump it than risk it?

i definately plan on aging it...
but if it could actually poison me, then why let it take up space in my aging closet, right?

Quick Reply