Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I got an oxygen bottle & regulator / flow meter today, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
ontap@home
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I got an oxygen bottle & regulator / flow meter today, now what?

Whats better? Using the stone in the wort just before pitching, or putting together a in-line system after my CFC.

How do you make an in-line oxygenator?

Support your fire department!

On Tap: American Firefighter Ale
All Grain Porter
Two Rail Pale Ale

Kegged & ready: Fat Tire Amber Ale , Newcastle Brown Ale

Secondary: Red Ale "Raspberry"?
Primary: Primary: empty
Next up: Shiner Bock clone
My Brewery: http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/1PYRO/My%20Brewery/?action=view&current=1179680606.pbw

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

A write-up on an inline oxygenator was in an issue of BYO, but I don't remember which. Oxygenating with a stone in the wort would be a lot less hassle and probably net the same result if we're talking 5g of wort and not 7bbl.

Also, if you do oxygenate inline after your CFC make very sure the outflow temp is below 80F or so to avoid HSA (which may or may not be a problem depending on who you talk to, but why chance it ). I would put an aquarium thermometer on the inline oxygenator.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Depending on the type of flow meter you have, here are some starting point flow and durations for using the O2 stone in the fementer for 6 gallon batch size. the flow rate was .5 SCFH/.2LPM for a 3 minute duration, this seems to be enough to get the attenuation listed for the yeasts i have used. Upping the duration to 4 minutes at the same flow rate increased the fermentation activity but increased the attenuation 10+% over typical. Have tested higher flow rates but with diminising effect as the bubbles rose through the wort and made a nice head of foam but did not seem to have time to be absorbed into the wort. One of the more extreme test results was a SG 1.032-1.002 english ale that was pitched with a ready to pitch tube (no starter) , 5 minutes O2 @.5 SCFH, that finished in 36 hours, and blew off 3 quarts of wort into catch bucket.

Quick Reply