Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I don't feat the foam, BUT...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
Me too. And after racking. I think the whole idea is to minimize contact with oxygen. Displacing as much O2 as possible just seems like a good practice.
Of course, but same question that I asked Spartan1979: when you add pressure to purge the kegs, doesn't that collapse the foam? If it doesn't, something isn't working right.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #22
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Of course, but same question that I asked Spartan1979: when you add pressure to purge the kegs, doesn't that collapse the foam? If it doesn't, something isn't working right.
You know, I never really checked. Physics would say it does. But then there is that liquid remaining in the finished beer. A miniscule amount, but there nonetheless. Iodophor remedies this.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
You know, I never really checked. Physics would say it does. But then there is that liquid remaining in the finished beer. A miniscule amount, but there nonetheless. Iodophor remedies this.
To each his own, of course. I've always been more concerned by the presence of iodine than by any of the ingredients in starsan. In reality, neither is probably a problem, but I am skeptical of the notion that starsan introduces oxygen to the beer.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
30 seconds is the fda mandated contact time on the label. Chcuk talley says in both podcasts that it is actually must faster. But basically, you just have to wet the surface and leave it be.
That's weird. I have an old small bottle and it says 1-2 minutes. I have a new big bottle, and it says "At least one minute."

To the OP, there's nothing wrong with using iodophor on your carboys. I use iodophor for my glass vessels and my kegs. If you follow the directions on the bottle, you won't get off flavors. And iodine is an essential part of the diet. I'm pretty sure dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid isn't.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
That's weird. I have an old small bottle and it says 1-2 minutes. I have a new big bottle, and it says "At least one minute."
It's been years since I hear the podcast. It COULD be "FDA MANDATE 1-2 Minutes, reality 30 seconds." Go listen to the podcast if you want it clarified. All I know is Talley said he HAD to put one thing when in reality the kill time is much faster.

Like I said earlier, the best information, rather than fear and speculation ("Oxygen bubbles", really? ) Is Talley himself. Listen to his words, and even email 5-star if you have specific questions. He used to answer Hb-ers questions directly. Yo probably can still find his direct email online.

Why don't you actually EMAIL 5-star about the bubbles and oxygenation.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

I don't think there's any reason to be smug about it. I happen to disagree with the idea that bubbles could lead to the introduction of oxygen, but it's a perfectly reasonable line of thought.

And, perhaps asking the manufacturer about potential problems with its products might not be the most reliable approach to scientific skepticism ( right back atcha man )

Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
I don't think there's any reason to be smug about it. I happen to disagree with the idea that bubbles could lead to the introduction of oxygen, but it's a perfectly reasonable line of thought.

No, it's a stupid concept. Totally outside the realm of possiblities. Revvy says so.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #28
AgingHopster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Sometimes it's easy to get the foam out if when you empty the carboy ya give it a good swirl so it vortexes as if comes out. Most of the foam comes out that way and the rest that may not is harmless and actually good so I don't take much effort past that. The trick is not making foam by splashing or shaking. Swirling good, shaking bad.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #29
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It's been years since I hear the podcast. It COULD be "FDA MANDATE 1-2 Minutes, reality 30 seconds." Go listen to the podcast if you want it clarified. All I know is Talley said he HAD to put one thing when in reality the kill time is much faster.

Like I said earlier, the best information, rather than fear and speculation ("Oxygen bubbles", really? ) Is Talley himself. Listen to his words, and even email 5-star if you have specific questions. He used to answer Hb-ers questions directly. Yo probably can still find his direct email online.

Why don't you actually EMAIL 5-star about the bubbles and oxygenation.....
The best information NEVER comes from the guy with a financial interest in selling it.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #30
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StittsvilleJames View Post
The best information NEVER comes from the guy with a financial interest in selling it.
Clearly you are not big on customer service, whatever your line of work. Serving ALL customer requests is the best way to keep that customer. Lying and scheming simply to push your product will not be tolerated by the market. Surely there are snake oil salesmen out there, but the word "NEVER" might be a tad strong.

I feel I need to side with Revvy here a bit. The concept that oxygen will be more readily absorbed from air inside of a bubble than just the air inside of the keg is not reasonable, rather is the result of an over-active homebrewer's imagination. The reason you don't fear the foam is because even with a carboy/keg half full of foam, the volume of starsan that is actually in there is very small. Ever tried to measure the thickness of a bubble? Just put the beer in the thing and drink it.

Quick Reply