Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hydrogen Peroxide as a sanitizer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Bills Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hydrogen Peroxide as a sanitizer?

Just started brewing. Finally a Christmas gift that is useful!!

Has anyone tried Hydrogen Peroxide to sanitize in place of bleach or the Iodine solutions? I know that some of the major food processing companies use Peroxide to sanitize their containers before the food product is introduced.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago. Did a little research and according to the FDA, a 7-1/2% solution of hydrogen peroxide is a steralant (60 minutes) and a high level disinfectant (10 minutes). The action is oxidation to accomplish the effects. The only by-products are water and oxygen. But, I cannot attest to weather it might cause off flavor. I use a 3% as a mouth wash and can say it does have a taste. No one seems to have tried it though, so I am assuming there is a reason, as we aren't the first to think of it. And it is widely usedin the food industry.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

It won't leave any taste once it has all broken down into water & O2. That makes it good for food containers. I think part of the problem is cost and part of the problem is, it is unstable. Not in a dangerous way, it just decomposes over time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pure hydrogen peroxide was once used as a rocket fuel. 3% is cheap enough, but not the steralant found with 7-1/2% (available through hospital supplies), and that likely to get costly. Hydrogen peroxide is also used to aid in seed germination. I suspect that that may be related to why not used in brewing. I think there is a reason beyond just cost, but nowhere seems to be utilized in relation to brewing. I refer to the taste as soapy, but that is due to the bubbling action mainly. Makes a great mouth wash, only have had two cavities in 62 years.

Quick Reply