Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hydrogen peroxide in a pinch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
maple_shaft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydrogen peroxide in a pinch

I have read a lot online about the use of hydrogen peroxide as a last resort no-rinse sanitizing agent. I am still unsure about this.

I was hoping to start a cascade pale ale tomorrow as I won't get another chance in over a week, and I don't have time to drive out to the store and get something else.

All i have is a teaspoon of one-step, scented bleach, loads of oxy-clean and two bottles of 3% diluted hydro peroxide.

I was thinking about using a cotton ball to soak my fermenter, and then pour some solution directly into a container with everything i want to sanitize, my hydrometer, my air lock, etc...

Any other suggestions or cautions will be welcome. Like i said, if I don't do it tomorrow then i got to wait a week, and I want to get started on this.

Thanks guys, you are a huge help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't think I would risk expensive ingredients without having a tried and true sanitizer. If you can't get to a LHBS for a sanitizer, every market has unscented bleach. I don't use bleach myself but no one can dispute it's sanitizing capabilities. I would trust bleach over using an iffy peroxide solution.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've never heard of using that as an sanitizer...I'd like to read the info...

Bleach is sort of the old school way people have done it, but now with no rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan and iodophor even rinsing bleech may be a pita.

Many people on here use regular old iodine dilluted as well...I have bulk iodine dairy antiseptic from the tractor supply company.

Peroxide? I wouldn't risk it...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
If you can't get to a LHBS for a sanitizer, every market has unscented bleach.
There is info on http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aepa.gov+hydrogen+peroxide+sanitizer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.debian:en-US:unofficial&client=iceweasel-a, including http://www.epa.gov/nhsrc/news/news111606.html kind of thing:

Quote:
In aqueous or gaseous forms, hydrogen peroxide exhibits decontamination efficacy against bacterial spores, vegetative bacteria, viruses, amoeba, and prions. Hydrogen peroxide is considered less toxic than other fumigants such as chlorine dioxide, ethylene oxide, and formaldehyde, and breaks down into water and oxygen. Therefore, gaseous hydrogen peroxide has been used as a decontaminant for treating laboratory and medical equipment, pharmaceutical facilities, hospital rooms, and animal holding rooms.
Since we are new to this, you may not have time to review the literature. I would seriously consider an unscented bleach solution with a rinse, or the Charlie Talley no-rinse pH-adjusted bleach method (1ozBWV).

Last edited by fratermus; 02-22-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
mrbowenz

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

70% isopropyl alcohol does a fine job sanitizing and it's pretty cheap, i use it all the time in my brewery

Last edited by mrbowenz; 02-23-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Even the scented bleach would work. Just needs a good rinse which may or may not lightly contaminate whatever you sanitize with it. Probably will be fine. I'd do it.

Get some star-san on order. Cheers.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
maple_shaft
Recipes 

Rinsing the scented bleach off seems more risky then simply using the peroxide. From what I am gathering that just a splash of it on the surface will effectively sanitize it within 10 minutes at a 3% solution.

I imagine the only reason that it isn't talked about or used on any measurable scale for brewing is because it is cost prohibitive. Iodophor and star-san are much cheaper in bulk, although I have never used them and they are a little intimidating to me I don't know why??

So with BWV method I can mix one ounce of bleach with one ounce of vinegar for 5 gallons and I don't need to rinse?

Is that 100% concentrated bleach? If so then does the grocery store sell that? I live out in the sticks, if the grocery store doesn't sell any kind of measurable concentration of unscented bleach then i am pretty much stuck with using peroxide.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_shaft View Post
So with BWV method I can mix one ounce of bleach with one ounce of vinegar for 5 gallons and I don't need to rinse?
To be explicit: never mix bleach and vinegar unless you are trying to recreate WWI chlorine gas warfare in your house. That would be Bad.

Yes, you add 1oz bleach to 5gal water, then add in 1oz vinegar. Normal bleach from the store. Theoretically no rinse is necessary at that dilution. I have tested it as no-rinse and have had no off-flavors from santization.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
lmg95
Recipes 

NH3 + NaOCl --> NaOH + NH2Cl
NH3 + NH2Cl + NaOH -->N2H4 + NaCl + H2O

2NH2Cl + N2H4 --> 2NH4Cl + N2 + HEAT

Sorry, just having fun with bleach and ammonia

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: DFH 60-min IPA & "Chinook" Blonde Ale
Keg #1:Blue Balls Wit
Kegs #2,3,4: empty :(
Planned: Centennial Blonde

Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

For the microbes that H2O2 kills, it REALLY kills them (like a disinfectant). The problem is that some types of microbes are unaffected by it. Most of the bacteria that are pathogenic to humans, it kills. Whether or not it kills the ones that commonly infect beer, I don't know.

This goes back to my microbiology course in college. We did an experiment with H2O2 on bacteria and it killed some and others were unaffected. I can't remember the exact difference though... gram negative vs. gram positive, spore forming vs. non-spore forming, etc. If there are any microbiologists on here, perhaps they could enlighten us.

In other words, I wouldn't trust it.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply