The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hurricane Burner on NG not getting hot enough

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
aaron4osu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hurricane Burner on NG not getting hot enough

I bought a hurricane burner and NG conversion valve from Northern Brewer. Even after adjusting the air damper ( or whatever that sliding piece is located where the valve connects on the burner) the flame is only about a quarter inch high. It did however have the correct shape and color. does this sound normal? It took almost 1 hour to bring 8 gal of 150F wort to a boil. I read on the forum somewhere about people drilling out the orifice, but wouldn't that lower the pressure even more?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quarter inch high? Not normal! Wide open, that thing should make huge blue flames that lick around the sides of your kettle. What kind/size of NG supply hose are you using?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Talk more about your gas tubing. Size, length, how far away is the next largest trunk?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

I just had this very problem and had a thread going in the DIY section. The first valve they sent didn't light at all, the second one they sent only got about a 1/4 high as well. I drilled out the oriface to 7/64 and it's working great now. I haven't boiled it yet, but the flame is much higher. Someone else said they went all the way up to 1/8.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What does the orifice look like? On mine (from Williams) it's actually a little tube, cemented in place...I don't think you could drill it out without destroying it.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 42 Posts

Here is a link to the Orifice sizing chart for Natural Gas Low Pressure Orifice Chart, the banjo burner should be in the 80K-120K Btu range. The household system pressure is normally 4" WC., use that column for drill size selection.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
aaron4osu
Recipes 

I have a 5/8 inch .5psi gas hose coming off a 1.25" gas pipe. This hose was from an old gas grill that was hooked up to the same NG line. I never looked at the PSI reading on the hose until now, is that really low?
why is the orifice on the NG conversion valve much smaller than the propane orifice, when it needs to be larger than the propane orifice? Maybe I'll try the propane one, which is a little bigger than 1/16" tonight and see if it gives a larger flame.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4osu View Post
why is the orifice on the NG conversion valve much smaller than the propane orifice, when it needs to be larger than the propane orifice? Maybe I'll try the propane one, which is a little bigger than 1/16" tonight and see if it gives a larger flame.
Something is definitely amiss, the NG orifice should be bigger than 1/16" and considerably larger than the LP orifice. I haven't seen mine (NG) since I installed it a year or so ago, but it is probably about 1/8".

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My NG valve from northern brewer is around 1/8" also... I can get flames up about 1/4 of my keggle, and that's from a 1/2" line...

Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
aaron4osu
Recipes 

problem solved. i just called northern brewer, and the guy said they had received and sent me the wrong size valves for NG. He agreed with everyone here that the orifice should have been larger than the promane valve's orifice. He said he has had several people get the wrong valves. They're waiting on the correct ones to come in. So is the consensus between 7/64" and 1/8"? I'm going to drill out the one I have while I'm waiting for the correct one. I was wondering why my brew's took so long. I started heating the water for my first all grain at about 6:30pm. Pitched the yeast about 1:30am. lol it was a marathon!!

Quick Reply