Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hurricane burner issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Old_E
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok. Based on the suspicions, I switched one of the valves to the Natural gas orifice I originally ordered from Williams. with that I also upsized the yellow gas line. It is difficult to tell from the packaging, b/c they want to give you outside diameters, but I think I moved it from 1/4" to 3/8". All of this made quite a difference. I still need to put some water on to find a boil time, but just looking at the flame you can tell a major difference. Also you could just feel the heat coming off. There was MUCH more.

Here is a really crappy video I made:
[IMG][/IMG]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1030 Times on 835 Posts

Not a crappy video at all, it's actually plenty informative.

A few comments:

- pretty clear that Tejas setup isn't cutting the mustard at all. Did you happen to compare the orifice diameters between theirs and the Williams kit?

- the burner output level should be controlled with the needle valve, not the air shutter. The air shutter should be tuned to account for the setting of the needle valve to provide the cleanest flame (mostly blue with faint yellow tips) so you don't coat your kettles with carbon (and waste gas)

- compared to the video I linked earlier, even your "good burner" seems to be producing considerably lower output. If you're using your shorter 1/2" ID gas hose in the video, I have to wonder how much piping you have inside the residence from the household NG regulator to your hose connection, or if the NG regulator needs to be adjusted, because it just seems too low (and too quiet)

- and on that last note, it might be worth having someone with a manometer check the household gas pressure at your hose tap.

Still, it's pretty darned clear there's a dramatic improvement with the Williams valve/orifice and 1/2" flex hose. I'd send a link to the video to Tejas and see what their response is to that

Cheers!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Not a crappy video at all, it's actually plenty informative.

A few comments:

- pretty clear that Tejas setup isn't cutting the mustard at all. Did you happen to compare the orifice diameters between theirs and the Williams kit?
Yeah. just looking at them, the Williams looked slightly larger. Obviously it was enough to make a difference.

- the burner output level should be controlled with the needle valve, not the air shutter. The air shutter should be tuned to account for the setting of the needle valve to provide the cleanest flame (mostly blue with faint yellow tips) so you don't coat your kettles with carbon (and waste gas)
Yeah, I just had the needle valve cranked all the way up. so the only thing to do at that point was to fiddle with the shutter.

- compared to the video I linked earlier, even your "good burner" seems to be producing considerably lower output. If you're using your shorter 1/2" ID gas hose in the video, I have to wonder how much piping you have inside the residence from the household NG regulator to your hose connection, or if the NG regulator needs to be adjusted, because it just seems too low (and too quiet)[COLOR="Blue"]Its actually 1/2 OD hose. I am guessing, b/c it doesn't say that it is 3/8" ID. There is probably 20 plus feet of piping running under the house to this connection. You could be right about it being low. We had it all installed 3 years ago when we bought this house.[COLOR="blue"]

- and on that last note, it might be worth having someone with a manometer check the household gas pressure at your hose tap.I might just do that.

Still, it's pretty darned clear there's a dramatic improvement with the Williams valve/orifice and 1/2" flex hose. I'd send a link to the video to Tejas and see what their response is to that
Well I am considering drilling them out a bit more. Why not?

Cheers!
I am going to try a boil test this weekend. I will report back.

Quick Reply