Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How to wire Johnson Controls A419?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
amcwi69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to wire Johnson Controls A419?

I bought the J.C. A419 at a cheap price, and when it came in the mail I figured out why...its not wired! I looked around on the internet and people kept refering to the zymico.com website, well that website is no longer up.

I know an extension cord can be used by cutting it in half but where do I go from there?? I do have a wiring diagram but I have no idea how to read it correctly.

So can anyone help me out? Pictures would help out a bunch...I'm one of those "learns better from pictures than words" kinda guy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
redbenn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcwi69 View Post
I bought the J.C. A419 at a cheap price, and when it came in the mail I figured out why...its not wired! I looked around on the internet and people kept refering to the zymico.com website, well that website is no longer up.

I know an extension cord can be used by cutting it in half but where do I go from there?? I do have a wiring diagram but I have no idea how to read it correctly.

So can anyone help me out? Pictures would help out a bunch...I'm one of those "learns better from pictures than words" kinda guy.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21395&start=0

Worked for me
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcwi69 View Post

don't feel ripped off, none of them come wired.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
amcwi69
Recipes 

Thanks redbenn that helped extremely!!

Ok now I have more reason to love northern brewer. I went to the store in milwaukee (I think they just recently opened that location) and fell in love with it. The guys there are extremely helpful. I told the wife she could go home without me, she then proceeded to give me the evil eye...

Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well... that didnt go so well for me..

Bought a 14ga Extension cord and wired according to diagram.

I checked it, and double checked it, plugged it in and now all I can smell is ozone.

@#$#$@#%

Old 07-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Are you running on 120V AC?

Did you buy an A419ABC-1C?

There are other versions of that controller that *look* the same in terms of wiring and externally, but are actually rated 24VDC (see for example this one). You will fry those in a few seconds if you hook it up to an outlet. There is a little card inside the compartment where you wire the connections that should tell you whether it's 24VDC, 120VAC, etc.

Last edited by weirdboy; 07-15-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The part number from my order is A419GBF-1C, which I believe is the 24v model. WHich is the correct part number for the 120v model?
I dont see any specification of voltage in the product descriptions..

FML.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The part number for the 120/240 vac version is A419ABC-1C or A419AEC-1C. I think the difference is in the length of the probe.

Your A419GBF-1C is the 24 volt version which I think is now DOA.

You can go to the Johnson Controls website and find this along with additional information on the controllers:

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publish/us/en/products/building_efficiency/Commercial_and_Industrial_Refrigeration/commercial_refrigeration/temperature/electronic2/a419singlestage.html

Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
don't feel ripped off, none of them come wired.
huh? I bought a completely factory wired unit from Northern Brewer a few years ago. The are available both wired and unwired, but every one I've seen listed by the home brewing suppliers has been a fully wired plug and play unit.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
huh? I bought a completely factory wired unit from Northern Brewer a few years ago. The are available both wired and unwired, but every one I've seen listed by the home brewing suppliers has been a fully wired plug and play unit.
To the best of my knowledge, they don't come that way from the factory. Someone is adding the wiring after it leaves JC.

Quick Reply