Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How to Use StarSan Properly and Key Sanitation Points

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
hiphops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default How to Use StarSan Properly and Key Sanitation Points

What is the proper way to use StarSan?

I understand how to dilute it and all. My understanding is that the essential point is to ensure that the StarSan suds touch all surface areas for at least three seconds.

After that, are you supposed to rinse the thing out that has been touched by those suds?

I was once told that you shouldn't rinse it out. However, something seems to counterintuitive about, for instance, bottling beer when the bottle has suds in it, using a thermometer when it has suds on it or dipping in the wort chiller when it too has suds on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
hiphops
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Also, when are the times when you must pay particular attention to sanitation? It seems to me that it maybe too much to be worrying about sanitizing a stainless steel spoon when its dipped into the boiling wort. However, it seems to be that sanitation is particularly important when bottling or siphoning beer into the carboy.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't fear the foam! It is totally safe to bottle, etc with foam still there. It won't hurt the beer or make any difference to the taste, etc.

Rinsing afterwards, besides being a pain, just reintroduces bacteria etc from your water. Don't rinse!

Also, I try to go longer than 3 secs, i think the package says 15 or 30 secs? most stuff is easy to throw in a starsan bucket then fish out, or spray from a bottle and let sit a lil.

Also the foam sanitizes as well as the liquid, , if you know what i mean

Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

and you are correct about the times- After the boil is when you really want everything to be sanitized that will touch the beer.

Before the boil, and during, it just needs to be clean (no matter deposited on it, etc) although sanitizing isnt that hard so I do it anyway

Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As said before, Don't Fear the Foam. Any residual Star San will be broken down and used as a nutrient for the yeast.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
hereforbeer
Recipes 

Don't rinse it.I read somewhere that wort turns it cloudy (actually anything with a PH higher than 3) and it becomes yeast nutrient.You can actually drink starsan(diluted) and it's both harmless and tasteless,so don't worry about your bottles.Finally,contact time recommended is 30 seconds.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

If starsan is harmless, could one theoretically use a diluted starsan mixture as his/her top off water for partial boil extract kits. I understand that this may kill some of the yeast, but if it's diluted enough I would think it would become ineffective shortly after mixin it with the wort. I hate having to bring a pot of water to boil, put it in the fridge or ice bucket to cool down, just to add it back in to the wort later. This last batch I did I didn't even boil it, I just added it straight from the tap (I was in a rush plus curious to see if I got any off flavors). If I could use the starsan at a light dilution,that would give me some peace of mind.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1 on the spray bottle. No need to fill a fermenter with starsan. The only starsan that's doing anything is what's actually touching the surface. So if you use a spray bottle, you can coat the whole thing down and you've used a few tablespoons of starsan instead of 5 gallons of it. And don't rinse it. If you do, you've just contaminated whatever it was you just sanitized.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Two things to mind: The water you're using sometimes makes a difference. If it's too hard, the pH of the final solution could be too high, and thus, won't be as effective as a sanitizer. Also, once prepared, if you retain it (like i do) for future uses, make sure that it isn't cloudy or white colored.

To counter both these issues i always prepare my star san solution with DI water.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforbeer View Post
You can actually drink starsan(diluted) and it's both harmless and tasteless
I'll agree that it's harmless, but it is not tasteless. It's acidic and it has a slightly sour taste. I sprayed it in my mouth the first time I mixed some up because I wanted to know it's flavor just in case all that foam (which originally scared the sh!t out of me, too) left a flavor in the finished product.

I'll chime in here with a "Don't Fear The Foam" comment.

(They really need to start selling t-shirts with that printed on it.)

Quick Reply