Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How safe is starsan?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
boscobeans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

For a safe and truly no rinse sanitizer which can be used on surfaces (high chair trays, toys and the like) as well as on brewing equipment look into a product called Alpet D2. Once the spray dries the surface is safe to eat off or brew with. Cruise ships have now switched to a similar product and have found it to be much more effective (even kills Noro-virus) that the traditional chlorine based sanitizers with no bleaching or other harmful side effects.

I also go along with the use of Starsan for everyday sanitizing, but think a quick rinse would be wise. There is a spray bottle in my kitchen and I use it on fruits that will be eaten unpeeled or uncooked as well as water bottles and the like. I do rinse the items off before using them.

OMO

bosco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Jacktar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the responses. The reason why I asked this question is b/c we were at a restaurant last night and my daughter dropped several spoons and all her toys, so we were left with nothing clean to put in her mouth. I joked with my Wife about using Starsan, but then i started to wonder if it was a possibility.

I tried the Five Star but they're closed for the weekend. I'll report back during the week. At the very least, I think the rinse, spray and second rinse might be a good idea.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 134 Posts

I would think a mix of star san and alcohol would take out anything, viral or bacterial. Iodine is good for that. Hydrogen peroxide is also very effective and leaves nothing behind but water.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Jacktar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I called Five Star and they recommended that I not use starsan for children's toys. They said they had concerns about children's immune systems being able to process it. Adults are not supposed to drink starsan but it's not harmful to us in small amounts when we do. The tech I talked to didn't know about babies, but smartly suggested not to take chances. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #15
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktar View Post
I called Five Star and they recommended that I not use starsan for children's toys. They said they had concerns about children's immune systems being able to process it. Adults are not supposed to drink starsan but it's not harmful to us in small amounts when we do. The tech I talked to didn't know about babies, but smartly suggested not to take chances. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
i caught my 2 yr old spraying star san into her mouth from a spray bottle. normally it's out of her reach but she did get it that one time, no ill effects. then again this little girl drinks out of our fish pond or any mud puddle she can get to before i do.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Can I use it to sterilize my baby's toys? A small bottle in the diaper bag would do the trick when we're out and she drops her soother for example. This may be a stupid question but is there any harm in this? Would a rinse and a spray be safe?
First kid isn't it?

By the time the next one comes along, they'll be lucky if you blow on it before you pop it back in their mouth.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1394 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 29

What that guy said!

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #18
Jacktar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoyda

First kid isn't it?

By the time the next one comes along, they'll be lucky if you blow on it before you pop it back in their mouth.
Haha. Yes, it is.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Haha. Yes, it is.
Is she mobile yet?

You can't imagine all the stuff she is going to try and eat. For whatever reason my kids always wanted to eat the mulch, yes, mulch. Even if you were watching them like a hawk they would still manage to find a piece.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
tszetela
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoyda View Post
First kid isn't it?

+1

By the time you get to 4 you don't even bother to blow it off!

Quick Reply