Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How safe is starsan?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Jacktar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How safe is starsan?

Can I use it to sterilize my baby's toys? A small bottle in the diaper bag would do the trick when we're out and she drops her soother for example. This may be a stupid question but is there any harm in this? Would a rinse and a spray be safe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Couchy
Recipes 

Hell no!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
Brewsit
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Starsan doesn't sterilize, it sanitizes. It does so by turning water into an acidic liquid that bacteria can't survive, basically. Not to pry, but is there a reason for needing to sterilize the toys, medically? The reason that starsan works well for beer making is that it keeps bacteria from growing on surfaces that come in contact with the beer. It's not a cleaner.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1422 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 603

Safe for an adult? Yes. Safe for a baby? That I'm not so sure.

Up Next: Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: Best Bitter, English IPA
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I use it to sanitize in the kitchen. I do believe there's at least one thread on here about using it with baby toys (and one about sex toys even). I don't know why couchy "hell no'd" the idea. It's a food and dairy safe sanitizer. If you use an iodine, alcohol or a diluted bleach sanitizer, there's no reason why you wouldn't use an acid based one. like starsan. It's meant to prevent what you comes into contact with stuff you put in your mouth safe. AND at proper dillution is can be and has been drunk. I would trust it over bleach as a sanitizer any day, especially since it is no rinse.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1889 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 2709

Best answer is to ask the source. Nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. (where the heck did that saying come from anyway?)

Five Star Chemicals (the makers of StarSan) 800.782.7019

Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Last year Knecht_Rupprecht on here contacted poison control asking about it, and they weren't concerned about Diluted starsan coming in contact with a baby.

Presumably you're going to sanitize the object in question and let it dry or even rinse it off after and let it dry before returning it to the child, right? If that's the case, I wouldn't worry. I'd be more hesitant to let them touch wet sanitizer than dry and rinsed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Best answer is to ask the source. Nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. (where the heck did that saying come from anyway?)

Five Star Chemicals (the makers of StarSan) 800.782.7019
I was just looking for the contact info as well.

Great Minds!

Dan Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Alcohol will do the job. Just dip that soother in some whiskey and pop it in her mouth. Also, it amplifies the soothing effect.

Kegged: The Weevil Dead IIPA | Tornado Warning Imperial Stout | Prepare To Die Porter
Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
picerjamo
Recipes 

It does so by turning water into an acidic liquid that bacteria can't survive

Quick Reply