Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   How safe is starsan? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-safe-starsan-384840/)

Jacktar 01-26-2013 09:43 PM

How safe is starsan?
 
Can I use it to sterilize my baby's toys? A small bottle in the diaper bag would do the trick when we're out and she drops her soother for example. This may be a stupid question but is there any harm in this? Would a rinse and a spray be safe?

Couchy 01-27-2013 01:24 AM

Hell no!!!

Brewsit 01-27-2013 02:51 AM

Starsan doesn't sterilize, it sanitizes. It does so by turning water into an acidic liquid that bacteria can't survive, basically. Not to pry, but is there a reason for needing to sterilize the toys, medically? The reason that starsan works well for beer making is that it keeps bacteria from growing on surfaces that come in contact with the beer. It's not a cleaner.

Qhrumphf 01-27-2013 02:53 AM

Safe for an adult? Yes. Safe for a baby? That I'm not so sure.

Revvy 01-27-2013 02:56 AM

I use it to sanitize in the kitchen. I do believe there's at least one thread on here about using it with baby toys (and one about sex toys even). I don't know why couchy "hell no'd" the idea. It's a food and dairy safe sanitizer. If you use an iodine, alcohol or a diluted bleach sanitizer, there's no reason why you wouldn't use an acid based one. like starsan. It's meant to prevent what you comes into contact with stuff you put in your mouth safe. AND at proper dillution is can be and has been drunk. I would trust it over bleach as a sanitizer any day, especially since it is no rinse.

Dan 01-27-2013 02:59 AM

Best answer is to ask the source. Nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. (where the heck did that saying come from anyway?)

Five Star Chemicals (the makers of StarSan) 800.782.7019

Revvy 01-27-2013 03:00 AM

Last year Knecht_Rupprecht on here contacted poison control asking about it, and they weren't concerned about Diluted starsan coming in contact with a baby.

Presumably you're going to sanitize the object in question and let it dry or even rinse it off after and let it dry before returning it to the child, right? If that's the case, I wouldn't worry. I'd be more hesitant to let them touch wet sanitizer than dry and rinsed.

Revvy 01-27-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 4831002)
Best answer is to ask the source. Nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. (where the heck did that saying come from anyway?)

Five Star Chemicals (the makers of StarSan) 800.782.7019

I was just looking for the contact info as well.

Great Minds! :mug:

Cathedral 01-27-2013 03:01 AM

Alcohol will do the job. Just dip that soother in some whiskey and pop it in her mouth. Also, it amplifies the soothing effect.

picerjamo 01-27-2013 12:38 PM

It does so by turning water into an acidic liquid that bacteria can't survivehttp://webcardid.com/apple/images/a18http://webcardid.com/apple/images/k3


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.