Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How Often/Long to clean equipment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
pulseyou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How Often/Long to clean equipment?

Ok guys I have a question on cleanliness!

How often do you guys clean your brew kettle w/ PBW? Every brew? How about wort chiller? Other equipment?

And do you like to do it the morning of the brew day?
(Obviously I'm doing at least a quick rinse/wash everything out immediately after I brew)

General tips/advice welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I wash the kettle and chiller with bar keepers friend and a scrubby at the end of the brew session. Much easier to clean before that stuff has had a chance to dry on and get crusty. Put it away clean and it's ready to go the next time you brew.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I put a batch of water in the kettle, heat it up, put in PBW, then dump all my equipment (after rinsing off obvious stuff) in it, let it sit for 20-30 min., scrub everything, then rinse w/ hot water, dry, comes out sparkling clean!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
pulseyou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
I put a batch of water in the kettle, heat it up, put in PBW, then dump all my equipment (after rinsing off obvious stuff) in it, let it sit for 20-30 min., scrub everything, then rinse w/ hot water, dry, comes out sparkling clean!

That sounds pretty simple, do you do this the morning of? And what are you including in "all my equipment"?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I sprinkle a little oxy in my kettle and scrub after my brew session. At that point my MLT has already been cleaned along with all of my hoses and my RIMS system has been rinsed out as well. Basically on brew day It's ready to go. There's already a lot of steps on brew day setup so why add another ya know.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I am washing all sundries in hot water after brew.. before usage I just give it a good rinse to remove dust if any, same for hoses. So far I never used PBW or other oxy cleaner if it is not really messy.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulseyou View Post
Ok guys I have a question on cleanliness!
My first rule of thumb is there is no such thing as "overkill." It's either good enough or it isn't. I err on the side of caution.

Quote:
How often do you guys clean your brew kettle w/ PBW? Every brew? How about wort chiller? Other equipment?
I clean my Boil kettle with PBW after every brew session. My wort chiller is a counterflow chiller so once my brew kettle has soaked with PBW to my liking I drain the entire kettle through my chiller with all hose lines attached. I will typically close the flow after the chiller once the hose lines and chiller are full of PBW solution to let it soak for at least 20 minutes before I let the flow continue until the Boil Kettle is empty. I don't use PBW on anything else other than my fermentation vessels. Which also get PBW cleansed after each use. But not before each use.

My Mash Tun(s) are 7.5 gallon pots that I use BIAB style....so they just get washed like any other dish in the sink. The rest of my equipment gets the same treatment.

Quote:
And do you like to do it the morning of the brew day?
(Obviously I'm doing at least a quick rinse/wash everything out immediately after I brew)
Prior to brewing all equipment gets a water rinse or dish soap cleansing and then sanitation if necessary.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I clean everything with PBW right after I get the worst into the better bottle! Soaking the kettle for a few hours helps loosen thing up. It's just so much easier to do it right after the brew then you're ready for your next brew day!

Just drink it!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I run off hot water from my immersion chiller into my HLT, and then pop in some oxyclean, I pump that through the HLT, and then into the MLT while the wort chills, and then finally into the BK while I pitch and put the other stuff away, gets the pump and all 3 vessels pretty clean.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've read no PBW or Oxi should be used on aluminium...anyone else hear that?

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Quick Reply